hard being on the losing side

Midgie67
on 9/2/07 9:01 am - Yuma, AZ
I am almost 2 weeks post op.  I was given the go ahead to start proteins as of last week.  I tried scrambled eggs...YUCK couldn't eat after the 2nd bite.  My stomach started hurting and they tasted horrible.  Then I tried a pork chop, cut it very small, chewed, chewed, chewed, etc. and that made my stomach hurt and came up.  Fresh fish...didn't get past the first bite, same thing.   Tried a bunch of stuff, it seems they all make my stomach hurt and some make me throw up.  What am I doing wrong?  I crave pizza (not what I Thought I would crave either LOL)  I am still drinking all my liquids, but that seems to be the only thing that my stomach can tolerate.  I jsut want to eat real food!   Any suggestions? Thanks Margery
ShadowLightLady
on 9/2/07 10:07 am - Lowell, MA
You may want to puree your food into a paste or applesauce texture.I went from clear liquids to soft foods or pureed foods for several weeks to ease my new pouch into normal eating. Eggs are hard. I used to love eggs but now I can't eat them either.  Try a protein shake made with fat free milk or Simply Smart milk for extra protein. Try melting some cheese over mashed potatoes made with fat free milk. Or some sugar free pudding made with milk. Sneak that protein in there.
DDBEAR458
on 9/2/07 8:58 pm - WORCESTER, MA
what you are feeling is very normal.  i used to heat up some tomato soup and throw in a big scoop of ricotta cheese.  it tasted like lasagna.  but i couldn't eat more than a few bites either.  whatever you do, don't try the pizza.  the grease will make you violently sick.  im almost 8 months out and grease still makes me very sick.  i can eat certain sugars (although i try not too).  once i tried some pudding and i got sick.  i drank slim fast low carb for months after surgery.  sometime two for breakfast and two for lunch because that's all i could somach.  at least i was getting protein in.  if you have a VITAMIN SHOPPE where you live, go in there and look at the pre-made protein drinks.  i had a banana one once, i think it had like 50 gms of protein and no sugar.  it was very good.  you are doing fine and once you start seeing the weight come off you will be thrilled.  i am down about 80 pounds!  keep up the good work!
Midgie67
on 9/2/07 9:38 pm - Yuma, AZ
Thank you so much for the replies....as long as I know it has happened to others, I feel better! At this point I feel I will never eat regular food again!  I am doing the pudding and the jello and the carnation instant breakfast (sugar free) so at least I am getting something in, But I am going to try the other protein shakes mentioned.  Thanks so much!
jereyes
on 9/2/07 10:19 pm - Tyngsboro, MA
Your new pouch sounds like it is not ready for dense proteins yet.  Have you tried things like yogurt, oatmeatl. SF/FF pudding that you make yourself with milk, cottage cheese, string cheese, ricotta cheese.  Things will get better as time goes by.  It can take a few months for you insides to heal.  Best of Luck!
Girl ..
on 9/3/07 12:17 am - MA
Mu surgery is in a few weeks, so I can't give you any ideas, but this post is helpful to me as I move forward and hit the same menu options as you...thanks for the post and I hope you feel better soon.   Julie
marieh
on 9/3/07 4:56 am - So. Easton, MA

Here's some weird things I've found. I'm 31 days out, and I cant eat chicken anymore but I CAN tolerate turkey.  Egg whites are fine, but the yolks make me sick. Salmon is tricky...most white fishes are fine. I can handle scallops, lobster and shrimp easily, even with coctail sauce! Tuna is good...I can mix it with FF mayo and some sweet relish to make it go down easier.  I have now become lactose intolerant too. (go figure!?)  I guess the points I'm trying to make is that your body is changing. Smells will hit you differently, spices too.  I was a coffee-holic and can't drink it now unless ti's half milk! This is the time where we get to relearn how and WHAT to eat. I'm trying my best to just enjoy the experience as a whole. The times I've overdone it or drank too fast, I've paid dearly for it...so those mistakes I'm hopign I'm smart enough NOT to repeat!!  Good luck, Marie

donnafc
on 9/7/07 12:52 am - Lowell, MA
Hi it is very normal. I am almost 2 years out. Lots of people can't tolerate eggs. As far as solid protein. I started with all very moist and through the magic bullet. Funny I craved pizza while I was still in the hospital. Note I was not a big pizza eater before so I really don't know why. When I could have food I ate tomato soup first with melted cheese. I also used stewed tomatoes (instead of sugary spaghetti sauce) for a lot of added liquids to soften foods. I also would have low fat soup that would go through the bullet before eating. The good news it won't be long before you can eat more normal food again, but don't be surprised if your tastes have changed. d
donna 281/169/143 RYN 9/27/05
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views