Quitting Smoking

booklovercalhau
on 7/4/07 1:57 am - Methuen, MA
Hello Everyone My doctor gave me a script for Chantix(sp?)  But I haven't filled it yet.  The more I think about quitting the more anxious I get.  I don't know why I can't make the step. It's stupid really if I want the surgery so bad why can't I get past this hurdle I've created?  Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Diane
Midgie67
on 7/4/07 3:17 am - Yuma, AZ
ME! ME! ME!  (Waving hands in air LOL)  I have tried and tried...my doctor gave me something else and the patch.  I do well for a few days, then the anxiety kicks in and I smoke.  So she gave me something for anxiety LOL  She did suggest I go on the Chantix...I think I might try it.  My surgeon says I have to be smoke free for 6 weeks prior to surgery.   That will be next tuesday...and that is scaring the heck out of me! Good luck and if you need to chat   My e-mail is [email protected] It is very hard! Midge
Noelle R.
on 7/4/07 6:24 am - MA
HI Diane, I was put on that 3 months before my surgery,  I found that I just took it and kept on smoking then after about 10 days I made a concious decision to put them down,  The Chantix definitely helps. I was saying the same thing I want this surgery so bad, why dont I want to quit........ Hope this helps good luck Noelle : )
Lynnzie22
on 7/4/07 10:36 am - MA
i quit smoking 3 years ago and i wont lie and tell you it was easy because it was hell lol. I used the patch but actually only needed it for 10 days.  A few tips that helped me... 1) If you have a designated smoking area in your home or outside steer clear from those areas...i smoked only in my computer room i wouldnt go in there for months because every time i did i thought about having a cigarette. 2) Straws, lollipops and licorice help the oral fixation ALOT.  3) If you have friends and family who smoke, kindly ask them if they wouldnt smoke near you. tell them if possible u dont even want to see a cigarette . Its the worst kind of temptation. 4) When you first wake up and after a meal (the times u reallllllly crave a butt) keep yourself busy, guzzle down a few glasses of water (pre op of course lol) The more you are staying busy the less ur obsessing about how much you want a cigarette. 5) Go online, look up C.O.P.D., look up lung cancer, look up emphsema....this stuff will defr make ya thing about lighting up 6) As i said in the beginning its not easy n dont let anyone tell you it is, BUT it does get better and one day you WILL be like ewee i cant believe i ever smoked lol Your body will thank you for it too.  GOOD LUCK !!!!!! 3)
GORDIFLACA
on 7/30/07 9:44 am - HYDE PARK, MA
I have been smoking for over half my life (gross).  On June 27th I started Chantix and have been smoke free since July 4th.  It really does work.  I had tried several other options available on the market to no avail....I would recommend chantix to anyone who has a hard time quiting. Good luck.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views