scope of throat

Amanda D.
on 6/21/07 2:05 pm - Haverhill, MA
Hi All,    I am going to have a scope done tomorrow as a result of GERD.  I am wondering how the "recovery" process is.  I know this is a relativly easy thing, and I will be asleep, But I am supposed to work tomorrow night, i work in an Emergency room, so i need to know if you think i would be "up" to working 11p-7a!!     thanks All!!!!

SELIN N.
on 6/21/07 10:49 pm - E. SANDWICH, MA
i havent had that done so i cant give you much insight..but i had the ng tube taken out while i was awake with the upper gi.....and even thought it was one of the worst things i had ever experienced...i was okay afterwads but you are going to be put to sleep and that anesthsia (sp) can be hard so make you should take the night off or wsitch with somebody.... good luck, selin
KatKat
on 6/21/07 11:41 pm

Hi Amanda,

I'm also a patient of Dr. Partridge's.  Who is doing your scope, Dr. Lee or Bailen?  I had Dr. Lee and have had 5 scopes done in the past 2 months.  They require that you have someone pick you up and you cannot drive for the rest of the day.  They also tell you not to make any important business decisions for the rest of the day.

I am usually a bit groggy after I am sent home and crawl into bed and sleep for at least an hour or two (one time I slept for 5 hours).  You're sort of out of it for the rest of the day.  I would NOT recommend going to work that night.

The nurses in the GI unit are great.... it is really not a bad experience.  Good luck.

Kathleen

Amanda D.
on 6/23/07 3:57 pm - Haverhill, MA
Ok well that is done and over with!!! Wasnt that bad---- I slept all day on friday and did go to work.  No pain in my throat at all, but I had developed pain in my back, right where my kidneys are..i thought It was from dehydration (I had to fast for 14 hrs, and I worked over night the night before while I was fasting) but it is still there, and i have drank plenty since then.    Ok so for the results, i have Severe Esophogitis (sp) and a hiatal hernia.  I guess it was worse then i thought, i had never even talked to the dr about GERD before, just treated myself OTC!!!! So now i am on 3 scripts, and will go back in a few weeks for a consult.  right now we are awaiting the results of the byopsey (sp) he took. Thanks for everyones insight! Amanda

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views