Dr. Hess Questions!!

BradysGirl12
on 6/19/07 12:19 pm - Boston, MA
Hey Everyone!!  I got my packet today with all my appointments and I am very very excited!!!!  All of my appointments are from August-September due to my school/internship which I couldn't get time off for.  So I was just wondering...how accurate are the approx. times they put in the packet?  I have on appointment my second week of school and I want to make sure I get out in time to get to class.  Also, how much weight loss is required before the surgery?   I am definitely excited to begin a regime before the surgery to get myself use to the smaller portions and meal times.  I am so busy, I usually squeeze food in whenever I can!!!  I am DEFINITELY going to the next support meeting, I had a busy day as an intern and completely forgot!! I'll see everyone there hopefully!    I might need a reminder so yell at me! At school I am soo organized but when I'm home i'm on vacation mode and forget everything!!! Thanks for your help! I know I keep saying it....but you guys are great, such an inspiration!!!
nomore44
on 6/19/07 3:06 pm - RI
  Hi BradysGirl!, I am new as well and just had my appointment in Quincy on June 4.  I can't answer your questions, but I'm looking forward to meeting you at the next support group.  I can tell you that they are backed up right now due to transitioning the new nut. Sharon.  I met her at the support group and she is great, very nice as is Natalie.  I haven't received my packet yet, but I can't wait till it gets here!!! Susan L. nomore44
BAYWETZEL
on 6/20/07 6:23 am - braintree, MA

hi brady girl,     I just recently(4/3)  had my surgery. lost 33lbs. so far.  they are very organized with their appts. if it is written down you can be sure they are all set. do you have dates for appts.? Your weight loss before surgery depends on how much you weigh. i was right on the border of meeting the requirements so they did not require me to lose any weight but i did.  i had lap banding, i was concerned that i would go nuts not being able to eat what i wanted, but i really don't have as much desire to eat as i did before.  i forget to eat. which isn't good either.   i have to remind myself to eat more often.  its wonderful!!!!! imagine having to make yourself eat.   dr. hess is awsome. 

helpful hind: keep a special calender with all your appts. just for this.  it will help you stay on top of all you have to do .   it can get a little hectic if your not organized.       pam c.

route66hello
on 6/20/07 8:16 am - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12

Hi, I had my sugery with Dr. Hess last August 2006. I go into Boston Medical Center and have found their appointments are usually right on time. I do not know for sure but suspect the amount of weight you need to lose depends our your weight going in. I went there in Nov 2005 at my  heaviest 450lb and they wanted me to lose 50 lbs to get down under 400 lbs. I tried really, really  hard using Nutrisystem and lost 30 lbs and Wendy (the nutrionist) let me move to the approval  process. My sense was that yes they wanted me to lose weight but also show the  effort/understanding was there of the need to as well. Also of course I was able to show I was  not gaining either... and eventually being able to mantain was important for me too. I am sure others will tell you how great Dr. Hess is. I do not like many folks in the medical profession but I do like and respect Dr. Hess very much.  He did my surgery laposcopically  (spelled wrong) where another top Boston Hospital told me that I weighed too much and would  have to have an open insicion. Best of luck! Terri Grant PS. A funny joke between another friend of mine who had the surgery with Dr. Hess is... only there can you get on the scale, weight in at 450 lbs and have lost 1/2 pound and have people be SO happy :-)

BradysGirl12
on 6/20/07 9:56 am - Boston, MA
Thanks for all the answers everyone! Yeah I was really wondering how much weight they wanted me to lose cause I only have like 3 weeks to lose weight and it takes usually about a week or so just  to get on program for me no matter what you do, so I was just curious if I could start before I met the nut or if I had to wait.  You're all great! Keep in touch...send me messages, I'd love to hear your progress!!!  And I hope to see everyone at the next support group, I'll probably be hopping into both at BMC and QMC depending on the weeks and my schedule or whatever. Thanks again so so much!  And thats really funny about the 1/2 a pound, my pcp would not be so happy haha. Meaghan
April R.
on 6/20/07 11:57 am - plymouth, MA
Dr. Hess is my hero!!! You're in good hands. I had my intital consult I think in July and it took me 1.5 months just to get it 2 years ago (I can't beleive it's been that long now). I got everything they needed done by OCT05 and could have had my surgery in Nov05 but I chose to wait and have it during my winter break in Dec because I was in grad school at the time. I didn't have to lose any weight because I had clear photo documentation that I had actually already lost weight before I started their program. I figured I would make my last ditch effort of doing it on my own actually count towards something.. in that I had lost 35 pounds with weigh****chers. I had actually lst 80 pounds but slowly but surely put back 45 of it within no time. Basically, most programs try to make you lose a little weight right before the surgery to shrink your liver to make the surgery easier to do.. so that's the main reason for requiring it if they do at all. I basically had to maintain my weight.. which was a lot harder to do then you would think. Hope this helps.. April R
BradysGirl12
on 6/21/07 10:58 am - Boston, MA
Thanks April, Your definitely an inspiration and proof that Dr. Hess is awesome.  I read your profile and you have a lot to be proud of. Congratulations on all your success and keep us posted!!!   Meaghan
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 686 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2256 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4444 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4579 views