Vermonter looking for some Mass information

Valerie M.
on 6/18/07 9:32 am - newfane, VT
HI.. I am currently in the process of getting approval from my insurance company for the Lap Band surgery. I live in Southern Vermont, where, unfortunately, we do not have any surgeons that perform the surgery up here. I am looking into Springfield Ma, both Merci Medical Ctr. and Bay State Health. They are both about an hour away. I have a couple of questions: 1. Will I be majorly affected not being close to the surgeons office in terms of appointments, follow ups, support groups, etc...? 2. Am I better off going to a "bigger" hospital than chosing a smaller one just because it's closer? 3. How do I research a surgeon that I want to perform the surgery? 4. (nothing to do with location) Does anyone know how long AFTER lapband you can think about getting pregnant? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!!
nsb1010
on 6/18/07 8:47 pm

Hi- #1 You need to go to several appointments before your surgery, both support groups, testing, surgeon, nutritionist, psych, etc. appts.  For the lap band you will need to get fills, I don't know how often, but I've read it sometimes takes several fills before your fill is correct.  Then you also have to have periodic checkups and attend monthly support groups. #2 You should check out your surgeon and make sure they dont have a very high morbidity rate, and make sure they have done the surgery at least 100 times. #3 The internet is a great tool for research.

#4 I think you are not supposed to get pregnant for at least 2 years after your surgery, so that your body can handle pregnancy. 

Good Luck in your search.  I had my RNY at Lowell General Hospital with Dr. Shore. Best decision I've ever made so far.  I'm only 7 weeks out , but I'm happy with my decision.  Nicole

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
Valerie M.
on 6/18/07 11:11 pm - newfane, VT
Thank you so much for your answers, I really appreciate it!  I've got a long way to go, but I'm excited! Thanks again.
lindie
on 6/19/07 6:05 am
If you're thinking of Springfield, maybe I can help. I started off with Mercy Hospital Weight Mgmt Group. My doctor (Chris Keroack) then went on his own to Pioneer Wellness. I followed him there. He referred me to Dr. John Kasper who will be doing my bypass next week. I know that they have quite a few out of state patients. I can give you phone numbers if you'd like them.  Lindie
Valerie M.
on 6/20/07 7:51 am - newfane, VT
HI Lindie, Thanks for your reply! I wish you the best with your bypass & I will be sending lots of positive energy your way.... I went down to Mercy Medical Center in Springfield for my first meeting last night. It was all about the Comprehensive Weight Management Group. I do believe Dr. Kasper (both son & father) is a surgeon there, right? That's who I have been looking into. I am only in beginning stages here... I completed my paperwork & now it's just waiting for out of state approval. I just feel like it can't happen soon enough! How long did it take you to go through the program there? Are you happy so far with the treatment you have had? Any info you could share would be terrific! Thanks again. Valerie
Pam M.
on 6/24/07 3:08 pm, edited 6/24/07 3:09 pm - Western, MA
I saw Dr. Keroack as well.  He is an amazing and wonderful man.  I highly recommend him.  He left the Comprehensive Weight Management Program at Mercy but since I was so close to my surgery I didn't want to switch and worry about paperwork issues.  I definitely miss him but honestly, at this point (being post-op), I'm getting more from the nutritionist and psychologst at CWMP so I'm sticking there.  But definitely an amazing experience working with his staff and learning (tons and tons) from him.  Plus no one EVER gave me anything but support about the Lap-Band decision at CWMP.  And when I originally started research 3 years ago it was a very uncommon surgery around here.  I never ever felt pressured to switch to RNY (although certainly I was well educated about both options).  CWMP works with both Dr. Kasper's office and Pioneer Valley Surgical (Haag & Fiallo) at Baystate.  I would assume Dr. Keroack's new office does the same...but I think his office is actually in Baystate's location. My thoughts on your questions originally posted... 1.  If you don't mind travelling, it probably isn't a problem.  In the beginning you will have quite a few visits.  CWMP is a monthly appointment usually.  Post-surgery, anything thats a real emergency can be treated at your local ER with phone consults to your surgeon, I would think. 2.  My husband is in the medical field and insisted going to Baystate vs. Mercy.  Surgeons have their preferences too.  Dr. Kasper is Mercy based and Drs. Haag/Fiallo are BMC Based.  I had both my kids at BMC and never had any complaints.  That was how I made my decision. 3.  I would highly recommend you go to the information seminars for both the groups that do the surgeries in this area.  You'll get a chance to hear their side of things.  I've never met Dr. Kasper or seen his presentation, but it would definitely be better to have multiple presentations to get the best picture.  Drs. Haag/Fiallo have been doing Lap-Band longer. 4.  I'm told, there's no physical danger in getting pregnant before the 2 year recommendation.  Physically your body heals from the actual surgery within a month.  But I think its good to wait 1-2 years for the psychological impact.  It is slow going the first 6 months while you're waiting to get your Lap Band adjusted and fine tuned properly.  I knew about the whole concept of fills and stuff before surgery, but I didn't realize I was going to go so long before I had effective restriction.  It takes some mental stamina to go through the first few months.  I do plan on getting pregnant next year, and can imagine if I had to go for an unfill at this point (4 months post-op) it would be discouraging to think I had to stop have the baby then start all over again.  But I'm in no fear whatsoever that if I got pregnant tomorrow, that there'd be any complications due to the band for the actual pregnancy. I started my second go round of WLS in June 2006, and if I hadn't been denied by my insurance, I would have had surgery in late October, early November.  I didn't rush through the appointments though so it could certainly happen sooner.  But in retrospect I'm glad I went the slower route, because it taught me some patience...which is REALLY important in the Lap-Band experience. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.

I am not alone, neither are you. 

Valerie M.
on 6/25/07 12:41 am - newfane, VT
Thanks so much for you insightful response. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! I am so glad I found this board/forum... it is truly a wealth of priceless information!!!
lindie
on 6/29/07 7:20 am
Hi Valerie,  Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I haven't figured out how to tell when someone replies to your post. I am home today, two days post-op. Dr. Kasper (John) was recommended by Dr. Keroack. Not that Fiallo and Haig aren't great, they are too. Anyway, I have no complaints. Dr. Kasper was wonderful. I did my nutritionist and psych appts at Mercy because I had already pd. $200 of the $300 they required. I think from start to fini**** was two years because initially I didn't consider surgery - about nine months from the time I first talked w/Dr. Kasper until now. I did find out that Dr. Kasper does surgery at Mercy only. I used to work at Baystate and from a patient's perspective, I loved having my own room and loads of attention. If you would like to send  me a message, I'd be glad to tell you anything. I've got to go rest a bit. All the best,  Lindie 
George Blanche
on 7/8/07 12:33 pm - South Carver, MA
How about New England Medical Center in Boston 617-636-5000, and ask for the Obesity Consultation Center. Go online -www.obesityconsult.com George
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 686 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2256 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4444 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4579 views