Opinion on NEMC?

msloriann
on 6/10/07 10:02 am - Taunton, MA
Anyone going or have already gone through New England Medical Center program?  I was just looking for your opinions, that is the program I am starting tomorrow.  I have my first appointment at 9 am.  With a psychologist. 
Lori Ann
[email protected]
pre-op lap RNY
336/ 298/ 136
wbfine
on 6/11/07 12:26 pm - Franklin, MA

Hi Lori Ann,

I've been in the OCC program at Tufts-NEMC since January and would be happy to answer any questions you might have.  I think it's a fantastic program and am looking forward to having my surgery in 8 days!

Bill

msloriann
on 6/11/07 12:54 pm - Taunton, MA

Hi Bill;  You must be so excited!  8 days away, wow.  You know I have a million questions; like how did you lose pre op weight?  That is my issue at the moment.  I met with Marjorie Kaplan today.  It went well.  NEMC is a huge place; I may lose 10 lbs just running around there!  Are you nervous?  Congrats on making it to this point.  That is awesome.  Are you on Smallbites, the yahoo group?   Lori Ann

Lori Ann
[email protected]
pre-op lap RNY
336/ 298/ 136
JaneMarieK
on 6/12/07 9:28 pm
Hi Bill! Good luck on your upcoming surgery!  I am 7 weeks post op and doing fantastic!  My hardest thing each day is making sure I eat! (never had that problem before!).  I will look forward to reading your profile as you move forward...I am hoping my brother will have this surgery so I like male opinions! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers! Jane
wbfine
on 6/13/07 10:34 am - Franklin, MA
Hi Jane, Thanks for the good wishes,  What kind of surgery did you have? Bill

JaneMarieK
on 6/13/07 12:14 pm
Hi Bill, I had Gastric Bypass with Dr. Kim.  You will be in great hands with Dr. Shikora!   Jane
JaneMarieK
on 6/12/07 9:25 pm
Hi Lori! I had my surgery with Dr. Kim at NEMC.  I found the OCC program to be outstanding and prepared me well for my surgery.  I am 7 weeks post-op and doing quite well. I would be happy to answer any specific questions you may have as you prepare for surgery! Good luck to you! Jane
msloriann
on 6/12/07 10:35 pm - Taunton, MA
Hi Jane!  I don't know who my surgeon will be yet.  I'm glad to hear your opinion of the program.  Seems to be the consensus!  The only information I am looking for right now is to see what people are eating preop to lose the weight.    How much have you lost so far?  Did you have any nausea?  Did you have a lot of pain? 
Lori Ann
[email protected]
pre-op lap RNY
336/ 298/ 136
JaneMarieK
on 6/13/07 5:57 am

I had a real struggle loosing the pre-surgery weight.  I met with Dr. Rollinson from the OCC and she put me on a low calorie diet and I met with her once a week.  I had lost about 15 for my original Jan. 31st date...but then insurance denied my claim so my surgery was canceled.  I gained about 10 of it back over the next 4 months.  Once insurance had sufficient documentation I was approved and rescheduled for April 24th.  I was only down about 7lbs on April 24th.  Since then I am down an additional 35lbs.  During my time in the hospital, they ran anti-nausea medication thru my IV.  Upon my return home I started to feel sick so they called in an anit-nausea medication for  me to take at home.  After week 2 I was feeling fine and no longer needed the medication.  The pain for me was manageable with tylenol.  My pain lasted about 4 weeks and minimally in week 5.  I feel back to myself fully this week...though I am a little more tired than usual.  Most importantly, I have no hunger...for the first time in my life!  Everyone's experience is so different but I hope this helps a little! Jane

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 686 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2256 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4444 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4579 views