Mass General VS Newton Wellsley

Amanda D.
on 6/8/07 5:46 pm - Haverhill, MA
Hi All,     Just looking for some feed back on Mass General, and Newton Wellsley! I've read all the reviews, I am just looking for some info mostly on out of pocket expences with each hospital.  With my insurance my max is 875.00 but it seems that there are charges seperate that do not get billed to ins.  Anyways I am just having a hard time with them. thanks Amanda
honeymoo
on 6/8/07 10:45 pm - on The Rock 30 miles out to Sea, MA
I would think that it would depend on your insurance.  The only out of pocket expenses I had at NW was the $550 program fee (this covers the Nutritionist and Physchologist, this can be paid in installments but must be paid in full before you have surgery) and then the extra charge for a private room which was like $32 a day but well worth it.  Oh yeah and my $15 co pays for my Dr. appointments. Otherwise my insurance paid 100%.  I would absolutely recommend NW to anyone in fact my hubby is going through the process now. Hope this helps.  Good luck Gwen

BE AN ANGEL DONATE LIFE   People to weak to follow their own dreams will always find a way to discourage yours

Cher B.
on 6/9/07 3:29 am - MA
Hey Amanda,   Aside from the program fee at NWH, I had a surgery co-pay, office visit co-pays and $94 for 'convenience items' that was not covered by insurance.  The program fees and what your insurance covers will be the biggest variables.   I can't really speak about Mass Gen but I have been very happy with NWH.  Dr. Gazmuri and Dr. Partridge are both awesome and the office staff is also great. Here is a link to their practice: http://www.newtonwellesleywls.com/content/16.htm There is a link to  the meeting schedules if you want to check out the program a bit more. Good luck, Cher
Midgie67
on 6/9/07 3:53 am - Yuma, AZ
I am currently going through MGH.  The program fee is $925.00  This covers the 8 weeks before surgery (Dietician & Psych.) and the 6 months after (nutritian classes, Psych.)  I was also charged $150 for the initial dietician eval Because my insurance company doesn't cover her)  I also have a $500 co-pay for the hospital. MGH has a great pre-op and post-op program(s).   http://www.weightcenter.org/twccharg.htm Good luck! Margery
Amanda D.
on 6/9/07 6:37 am - Haverhill, MA
Thanks guys---I was leaning toward NWH but just wanted to double check....looks like as for fees go, 550 VS 925??? big difference!!!!  Thanks again!!!!
Cher B.
on 6/9/07 2:02 pm - MA
Hey Amanda, I also waned to let you know that the $550 for NWH includes the consult. The dietitian and psych interview are included in that as well.
SarahF
on 6/9/07 11:43 am - Braintree, MA
I don't know much about NWH but I can attest that MGH is incredible.  My surgery is scheduled for July 9th.  They do have some out of pocket expenses (the $925 which covers all of the support meetings which is not covered by insurance and the initial consult fee of $125).  Their success rate is fabulous.  I never thought I'd feel so comfortable with a team of doctors/surgeons...but I have complete faith in them.
KatKat
on 6/9/07 11:54 am
I also highly recommend NWH.  Cher and Gwen pretty much covered all the info regarding program fees.  I thought it was worth mentioning that ALL office visits are free of charge (no co-pay) for the first 6 months after surgery.  I had some small complications so it was nice to hear this.  My co-pay is only $5 but I know some folks pay a lot more and it could add up!   I had Tufts and I got the bill from the hospital - the total cost was about $34,000 and all I had to pay was the extra charge for a private room (Totally worth it!!).   Also, I found the nurses and their care of me to be absolutely fantastic.  This makes a big difference in your hospital stay.  Another thing to take into consideration is the ease of getting into the hospital for appts., meetings, etc.  I was glad I chose NW because it's local for me - I have had to go for 4 endoscopies and have a 5th next week and need to have someone drive me there and back due to the sedation.... making me very glad that it is only a short drive away.  Hope this helps.

Kathleen

lolly1206
on 6/10/07 2:27 am - Blackstone, MA
Another vote for NW here.  I paid the $550 program fee and any office copays.  My insurance covered every penny of my stay in the hospital.  Actually, I went back in two times (once for dehydration, once because I hadn't had a BM in 14 days) and everything was covered those times as well.  Of course it depends on your insurance coverage.  But NW has a great program. 

Lauren

Start: 281  Low: 123 Now: 139

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/07 9:13 am - TBD, Guam
I went through NWH and found it to be wonderful.   Like Gwen posted the private room is so worth it.  I paid the extra cost, I think for me it was @22 extra a night.   I have insomnia so I am up a lot at night (even on a morphine drip.... lol!!)  Dr. Gazmuri is the BEST and so are his partners and the rest of the staff he works with.  When I was a patient the rooms were all full and I did find that sometimes the nurses were short staffed, but I think you will find that at every hospital you go to. I really felt like the staff at NWH cared about "me" and that I wasnt just a number or some patient they were trying to make money from.  These days that is a gift.   I feel so strongly about this.  Dr. Gazmuri might very well be one of the best Dr.s I have ever had.  I only met with Dr. Partridge one time, but I got the same vibe from her.   The staff all care too.   They are just totally professional.   I cant stress this enough. One time I had an issue with pain.  I called after hours.   The call back was within minutes.   I was stunned.    Just one example. hugs! J.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views