Frustrated

Ashley78986
on 6/8/07 3:58 am - MA
Okay, so I'm 2 and a 1/2 weeks out, and when I went to the Dr. last Friday, I had lost about 15lbs since surgery (ten days after surgery.) Well, I weighed myself today and I've only lost an additional 3 lbs since then. I try to stay away from the scale, but it just doesn't work. I feel like I should be losing weight faster. I don't eat that much. I feel like I'm starting to obsess about it. I don't want to eat because I'm so scared of gaining weight instead of losing it. I drink lots of water, because I know how important it is to stay hydrated, but I just can't bring myself to eat when I know I'm supposed to. Has anyone felt this way after surgery? It's hard to ask the people around me for their thoughts and opinions, no one else in my house is struggling with their weight the way I am. Any advice, stories, thoughts etc are appreciated. Thanks. Ashley
txbunny930
on 6/8/07 4:20 am - MA

While it's great to watch the progress of lossing weight, you're just a few weeks out and recovering from a MAJOR surgery.  Stop weighing yourself and concentrate on eating, getting in your water and vitamins.  The weight comes off different for everyone but it DOES come off.   You're normal and remember, you are still bloated from surgery.  Just wait until things start dropping faster.  On average, 20 lbs a month is about what we lose.

Good luck.

***Bunny***
SW-267/CW-133/GW-145

Ashley78986
on 6/8/07 6:51 am - MA
I didn't even think of the possibility of still being a little bloated. I guess I'm just impatient, like most people are. I'm very good about taking my vitamins and drinking. I guess I just need to work on the eating. Maybe I will have to put my scale somewhere that I wont pass by it constantly. Thanks for the advice!
txbunny930
on 6/8/07 7:20 am - MA
I was shocked to find it wasn't as easy to eat as I thought it would be.  Fooled me, this surgery did... lol  Just know that the surgery does work and each of us loses as our body dictates it will.  What you don't want to do is NOT eat.  You can really hurt yourself with doing that.  Like you, I thought I was losing slowly too.  But I'm almost 6 months out and down 79 lbs.  Not as fast as others but it's still fast.  Tell me what diet I could go on and lose this much weight in a short amount of time?  None.  You'll do great.  I love stepping on the scale to see it move but there are weeks it doesn't.  When that time comes, know that your body is readjusting itself.  You'll lose inches, not pounds during that time.  So don't freak out when it does stop for a week.  It'll start up again. Good luck. Bunny

***Bunny***
SW-267/CW-133/GW-145

jrobichaud
on 6/8/07 8:16 am - Pepperell, MA
Hey Ashley, Trust me you are losing. When you aree not losing pounds you are losing inches. I had the scale problem too and I called the office at 3 weeks out to ask if i was doing something wrong due to the slow progress for two weeks. It was well explained the body can only lose so many pounds at a time and when its not losing weight it is losing inches. Sure enough I went back to losing and now down 140 pounds 6 months out. You will have weeks of 1 or 2 pounds gone followed by 10 pounds. Stick with it and it will come off. As far as a scale goes I now weigh myself every other Sunday morning first thing.  Good Luck, Josh
Ashley78986
on 6/8/07 10:03 am - MA
Thanks you guys. That makes me feel sooo much better. Because I was worried that I was doing something wrong and that I wasn't going to lose the weight. I feel lots better. Thanks.
Cher B.
on 6/8/07 11:08 am - MA

Hey Ashley,   You are doing great! This is very normal.  I had a stall at 2 1/2 weeks and the scales wasn't moving at all...not even three pounds.  I have started losing again but it is not as fast as those first couple of weeks. 

Even if you only get a little in at a time, try to get some protein in.  Good jobs with the vitamins and water.  I agree it is best not to weight every day but I haven't been able to resist that either. Hang in there! ~Cher

msloriann
on 6/10/07 9:59 am - Taunton, MA
Ashley, you are doing awesome!  Bunny is absolutely right.  You are still bloated from surg., and you must eat or your body will lose less.  Just do what they tell you, girl, and you'll be allright.  You're doing great. 
Lori Ann
[email protected]
pre-op lap RNY
336/ 298/ 136
nsb1010
on 6/10/07 11:03 am
Hi Ashley-  I was exactly the same.  At 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 weeks I only lost like 1 pound. Someone on here explained it that your body is trying to hold onto it's fat and it takes a little time(a week?) to figure out that it's going to need to burn the fat because you're not going to feed it enough. (The person who explained it said it much better than that) But after that week, I've lost weight like crazy.  Yeah! You will too. Good Luck
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views