Newton Wellesley Pretesting/Surgery Day...

Katie R.
on 6/5/07 1:19 am - Marlborough, MA
Hey all im having surgery June 19th at NWH and just wonderng what i should expect on the day of  pre-testing and the day of surgery. i have pre testing this friday and surgery in 15 days, getting a little nervous and want to know what to expect. Also am i right that they only weigh you at the pre testing not the day of surgery?? that would be a blessing as this pre op diet is killing me and i would love to be able to eat one more bad thing haha....i believe i have the first surgery of the morning since i have to arrive at 6:20 am. anyone with some input as to what to bring to the hospital and what is hould be stpcking up on would be great. thanks Katie

jrobichaud
on 6/5/07 1:34 am - Pepperell, MA
Afternoon Katie, Congrats on your upcoming Surgery. As far as the pre-testing goes at NWH, I went upi to the office and got weighed in prior to going to the pre test. The pre testing started out for me with meeting with the nurse and she took all of my medial information. Then I had a med student come in and do a quick medial history and she did listened to my heart lungs etc... Then the medial resident came in and said ahe spoke to the student and all looked well for me. Then I met with the anesthesiologist and she looked in mouth and took a measurement of my neck.  Then she just asked me if I have ever been put under before. Then Its off to have an EKG and blood work done. In all I Think I was there for 3 hours.  The day of the Surgery you just show up get registered and then just get changed. You will get an IV and some happy drugs while you wait. The Dr. will then come in and have you sign a bunch of consent forms. then its off to the losers bench.  As far as stuff to bring I bought my portable DVD player and toothbrush and toothpaste. People say wear pajamas but with the Cath it would be imposible. Just bring something to keep you busy. I did a ton of walking and spent a good amount of time in the Atriuim reading the Paper and stuff. The staff aat NWH is awesome from the nurses to the Docs. you will be fine.  Oh your last weigh in will be at pre testing. Go ahead and have 1 last meal. I DID. But I did have my last quilty pleasure 3 days prior to surgery so i knew my liver would be too big.  Good Luck, Joshua
honeymoo
on 6/5/07 9:42 am - on The Rock 30 miles out to Sea, MA
Yes what Josh said as for what to bring to the hospital I definitely recommend chapstick.  I brought my iPod and reading material and didn't touch it between walking and sleeping there wasn't much time for anything else.  I did watch some TV but really not much.  I also brought a robe type thing that zippered (probably could get something like a swimsuit cover up) so when I went walking in the halls I felt covered.  ALthough you can just use an extra johnny too.  Bring a hairbrush and if you want your own shampoo although they have it there.  Make sure you wear comfy loose clothes, I wore the same ones home that I wore in.  Not sure how far you have to travel but bring a pillow for the ride home it's great to have it to hold against your tummy when you hit a bump. I think that's about it I'll let you know if I think of anything else.  Good luck and congrats you'll do great! Gwen

BE AN ANGEL DONATE LIFE   People to weak to follow their own dreams will always find a way to discourage yours

Cher B.
on 6/5/07 12:36 pm - MA

Hey Katie,  I don't have much to add to what Josh and Gwen said.  If you have a your gallbladder they will also have you get a gallbladder ultrasound during pre-testing.  A couple of things that I found helpful in the hospital were Oasis mouth spray, ear plugs and an eye mask.  The ear plugs and eye mask helped me be able to block out noise and light to help me sleep.   Wear loose comfortale clothes to the hospital so you can wear the same thing going home. I also wore flip flops to the hospital I liked to wear those walking the halls instead of those slipper socks.

Best Wishes on your journey!

~Cher

Katie R.
on 6/5/07 11:44 pm - Marlborough, MA
thank you guys for your responses im just so nervous lol... i know im doing the right thing its just a big decision to make ya know? but i know it the right one....

Marianne978
on 6/6/07 10:18 am - Metrowest, MA

Hi Katie,  I wish you the best of luck!  I was the same as you I was very nervous, knew I was doing hte write thing BUT still had some fear.  Everything they said above is what I brought and to be honest I didnt use much of it until hte last day I was there.  I highly suggest a robe to put over you cause doubling up the gown stinks.  They also weighed me the day of surgery which was 2lbs lighter than my pre-testing weight and I hate a roast beef dinner the night before with all the fixins, dont stress about it and you will be fine.  Just something to be prepared for that I wasnt prepared for about 2 days after surgery and it lasted about a week and half I was VERY emotional, kept thinkingOMG what did I do etc...cried several times a day....haha  this is very very normal so just in case it happens to you.  Also bring your own toothbrush cause there stink at NW hospital. 

I am now 3 months out...I look and feel great...best thing I ever did for myself....I am currently down 55lbs and I have so much for self esteem.  You will do fine and I wish you the best of luck.  If you need to chat feel free to email me.

Marianne

Carolyn L.
on 6/8/07 6:58 am - Northborough, MA
Katie,  I have the whole thing written up in my profile (below the blog) if you want to read about it.  They only weigh you during pre-op not the day of surgery so you can relax.  An iPod is a good idea - I was unable to read because the drugs made my eyesight blurry.  Other than chapstick, a pillow and loose clothes to go home in you don't need much! Good luck and we'll see you on the other side.
Carolyn      
243 /222      /135    /135 /125  
High/Surgery/Current/Goal/Lowest

Katie R.
on 6/8/07 11:59 am - Marlborough, MA

thank you all for your responses... they have helped alot... i lost 10 pounds at my pre -op today so i was good to go... i want to lose 3 more pounds before surgery hopefully i  can do it...thanks all =) see you on the other side.. hehe Katie

lolly1206
on 6/10/07 2:31 am - Blackstone, MA
Definitely remember your chapstick.  And I second the LOOSE clothes to wear home.  I wore pajama bottoms and a tshirt to the hospital the morning of surgery.  When it was time to go home, my pj's were too tight from all the bloating and swelling!   Good luck!

Lauren

Start: 281  Low: 123 Now: 139

Katie R.
on 6/10/07 7:48 am - Marlborough, MA
thank ytou so much for ur response lolly i read ur entire profile what an accomplishment... you look awesome!!! congrats =)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views