Your Experience... Dr. Hess / BMC

Heather_Momof4
on 5/25/07 2:09 pm - MA
Hello, I am scheduled for LAP/RNY with Dr. Hess on July 10th... To say that I am thrilled is an understatement....

Could any past/post-op patients of Dr. Hess or other surgeons who work through Boston Medical Center, share your experiences???  I am ready to hear it all... please don't hold back...

If you would rather privately message me, that's fine too. :o)

Thanks, I learn so much through other people's experiences....

Best wishes throughout your journey,
Heather
April R.
on 5/26/07 12:30 am - plymouth, MA
Hi Heather.. I have nothing but accolades for Dr. Hess and his team.. my surgery was on 12/14/05.. it went off without a hitch and I haven't had any major complications from the procedure. I've lost 109 pounds and I am only 4 pounds from a normal BMI and 10 from my goal.. I hit Hess's goal eons ago.. hehe although I think he's pretty modest with the WL numbers he comes up with. I'm still trucking along.. still loosing (slow.. almost turtlelike). Last time I saw him he prescribed me a mini-traithalon which I will be doing in 2 weeks in Hyannis. I feel like Dr. Hess challenges everyone the way they need to be challenged on an individual level and thus I feel that in his bestest personal touch. I love this man!!!! BMC i**** or miss.. it's a really LOUD hospital.. some of the nurses were amazing.. some of them pissy.. I suggest brigging ear plugs and a music device that offers nice soothing music in order to sleep. I literally had a drug addict as a roomate who talked dirty all night on the phone to her boyfriend, watched TV the whole time, and ate chocolate cake all day.. so that was kinda my biggest beef with the whole BMC experience.. they should put WLS people together if you have to have a roomate.  Other than that.. the Doctors (including ones in training.. it's a teaching hospital) check on you like every hour.. and they have amazing bedside manner (better than the nurses) so you may want to get used to the idea of SUPER HOT people checking you out constantly.. let me tell you!!! hehehe Bring your brush and your blush hehehe Hope this helps.. let me know if you ahve any other question April R PS.. Listen to everything Wendy tells you and you will do fine in the eating department
steambacker
on 5/26/07 6:23 am - Hull, MA
Hello, I just got home yesterday from BMC and having my surgery with Dr. Hess.  I had a really good experience!!!  Two of the nurses were very terrific, Meg and Kristen.  They would help you in and out of bed and anything else you need and were very fun and talkative.  They were delightful.  A couple of the nurses didn't want to help me in and out of bed, even though I was in alot of pain and practically crying because I needed help.  The hospital itself is clean and the halls were very clean and clear which was good for walking after the surgery. My room mate was very nice.  She had a leg injury so needed different care than I.  I would say it would be an excellent idea to have all the WLS together.  Especially if you have to get up alot and use the bathroom as they are pumping you with alot of IV liquids.. it's hard moving as you are hitched up to alot of things and when you disconnect, they tend to beep alot which I fealt bad that it was waking my roommate. Dr Hess and his entire surgical team was terrific!  The anesthesia is a special kind to help with any nasea and vomiting.  It went very well.  The anesthesiologist and all the dr's come in alot to visit you in the hospital and you have access to your phone and TV. My surgery lasted only 2 hours and 6 minutes.  It went very well according to the doctors.    I highly recommend Dr Hess to any and all who are considering this operation.  You couldn't ask for a better surgeon and person!!!!
Heather_Momof4
on 5/26/07 11:15 am - MA
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Thank you so much for sharing your opinions and experiences with me.  Congratulations on your successes thus far, and good luck as you continue forward with your journey. Blessings, Heather
BradysGirl12
on 5/27/07 4:17 pm - Boston, MA
Glad to hear all this great information! I got my pre-op testing packet the other day in the mail! I can't start my appointments until after my summer internship unfortunately...but the office has been great at accommodating my school schedule. Glad to hear your doing well! Keep us updated!
KelleyMac
on 5/29/07 8:00 am - South Shore, MA
I have Dr. Burch, who is Dr. Hess' partner and both he and Ellen (in the Quincy office) are excellant!  I had some of my pre-op testing today and now I have to wait until June 21 to meet with the nutritionist.  I am so excited!!  Everyone I have had contact with in Dr. Hess and Dr. Burch's office have been awesome!
Heather_Momof4
on 5/29/07 10:17 am - MA
I have been playing phone-tag with Ellen, because I need to meet with the nutritionist to go over pre-op and post-op diets.... And my nutritionist Natalie, is no longer there, and she said they don't currently have a nutritionist OR a dietician.  AGH!

I need help... Any referrals would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Heather
steambacker
on 5/30/07 12:32 am - Hull, MA
Hello, They have them in the Boston building.  Can they set you up with an appointment with one of those?  Would you be willing to drive to BMC for that appointment?  Check with Ellen if they can set you up with one in Boston if you are looking to speed up things. 
Heather_Momof4
on 5/31/07 10:09 am - MA
Good idea.  I just want to go over (thoroughly) my pre-op and post-op diet.  I have questions and ideas about what I am hoping to do, and also questions about various supplements, etc.

That's a great idea, I'll call Ellen in the A.M.
BAYWETZEL
on 6/14/07 4:45 pm - braintree, MA

Hey Heather,     I have had the lap band done 4/3/2007.  I've lost about 30 lbs. so far. I had Dr. Hess, he is awesome. I work at qmc and have seen his patients recover very well.  I would highly recommend him, and would have him as my surgeon anytime.  BMC was great. Everyone was very nice from start to finish. Fortunately I had a private room so it was very quiet for me. Good luck, you will do great.      pam c.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views