FRUSTRATED (long post)

KK123
on 5/20/07 9:44 am - Worcester, MA
wow.... so i had a consult at BWH with Dr. Vernon....RIDICULOUS! First off they had my wrong insurance info.... i told them i didnt have mass heath and they said ok... Then they said im eligible (yay) for Lapband which is what i want, even tho ive had a psychiatric hospitalization in the past 12 months, My insurance doesnt care as long as I am mentally ready for the procedure.. So I'm all psyched up that I am eligible and everything is all set then the surgeon Dr. Vernon walks in and says "We'll have to postpone our meeting and discussion until august because mass health says u cant be hospitalized for psych reason in the 12 months prior to surgery, so it's not worth putting the claim through then appealing" I explained I don't have masshealth and gave her the form that my insurance company said they needed to approve the surgery and that my hospitalization was not an issue at all... so Dr Vernon wouldnt even LOOK at it and said mass health doesnt cover it.... I didnt beleive how little she listened to me how after I told everyone multiple times I DIDNT have Masshealth, no one seemed to care. Then on top of everything they wanted me to lose 10% of my bodyweight... 10% is 34lbs... If I could have lost 34lbs i wouldnt NEED surgery...ok i could understand 10-15 even 20 but 34?! that would have taken me a year i have NO metabolism due to medication i used to be on. So now I am planning on visiting another surgeon that my boyfriend went to for WLS... and im excited because when i spoke to them they seemed to listen and seemed more compassionate... not just in it for money! I know i'm ranting but i figured people would understand!! Thanks! Kayla
marieh
on 5/20/07 9:52 am - So. Easton, MA
Good grief! I have Cigna and they can stall my butt off! (well, if they actually COULD I wouldn't need surgery either)...I can so relate to not being heard or understood! Where will you seek your 2nd opinion?? Marie
KK123
on 5/20/07 9:57 am - Worcester, MA
Lawrence memorial hospital in Medford with Dr. Randall
txbunny930
on 5/21/07 12:56 am - MA
Dr. Randall has his support group meetings for lap band tomorrow at 6:30 pm. It's held at the Nurse's building at Lawrence Memorial Hospital which is to the right of the front enterance of the hospital. All are welcomed to go and you can get an insight as to how everything is with him and his group. I attend and have attended his RNY meetings for 2 years. Dr. Randall is the best. Good luck. Lorraine
KellyMASS
on 5/20/07 10:37 am - MA
What was there problem that they thought you had Mass Health?... did they have your paper work mixed up with someone elses? I'd go to another program.. I know it takes a while to see the doctor but I wouldn't deal with them .. they wouldn't listen to you over something like ins.... then what?!
Julie ~
on 5/20/07 11:01 am
SELIN N.
on 5/22/07 10:27 am - E. SANDWICH, MA
I'M SORRY TOO...I HAVE DR LAUTZ AT B&W HOSPITAL AND I AM SO PLEASED BUT I GUESS IF THEY CALLED ME TOMORROW AND HAD TO RESCHEDULE MY SURGERY WHICH IS SET FOR JUNE 18 I WOULD BE PRETTY UPSET AT THEM....OH GEE I HOPE I DINT JUST JINX MYSELF...BUT GOOD LUCK WITH WHOM YOU GET...EVERYONE HAS DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES WITH DIFFERENT SURGEONS AND WHEN YOU FIND THE ONE YOU CLICK WITH, YOU'LL BE MORE COMFORTABLE OF COURSE. KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!
KK123
on 5/22/07 12:01 pm - Worcester, MA

I just want to say thank you to everyone who is supporting me through everything :)

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/07 1:03 am - Brockton, MA
I also have Dr. Lautz at B&W and wouldn't go anywhere else, sorry you had such an ordeal, did you speak to Eileen about the insurance mixup? If anyone could handle that she can.
donnafc
on 5/23/07 2:35 am - Lowell, MA
I am sorry about the miss understanding about your insurance. I do have concerns about the need to lose weight up front. Most good surgeons require upfront weight loss for good reasons. And 10% is the more common amount, First there needs to be a commitment to actual diet, exercise and dedication. Any of these surgeries are just a tool, I am at 21 months out and it is hard to keep this going. The weight loss also help shrink the liver to make the operation easier on you and the dr. Don't get discouraged and IMHO- making a patient loose upfront weight is critical to their success later on. donna
donna 281/169/143 RYN 9/27/05
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views