spices after surgery??

SELIN N.
on 5/18/07 11:38 am - E. SANDWICH, MA
I know the different steps after surgery but can spices have a bad outcome on the tummy once we hit the mush eating stage?? How about garlic...i love garlic. And what about pills? Are we allowed to take liquid caplets? Or what about prescriptions like penicillin and stuff...Does anybody know these answers...If not I'm meeting with my doctor on June 7th and I'll ask him then...I just hate to bombard him with a million questions... Also, after surger, what happens if you want to throw up??? Can you pop a stich or blow a staple??? Sounds bad...But I was just wondering.... Okay..Have a great night!!!! And for everyone who is having a surgery soon...Just incase I dont get on here...Congrats and heal quickly!
normancpjones
on 5/19/07 11:32 pm
Hi Selin Basically "hot" spices can be irritating to the stomach after surgery. Garlic or other mild spices arent usually a problem. Be careful of rosemary or anything really twiggy. Ask your pharmacist about the pills. some need to be changed from extended release to regular, or if they are really big or cant be crushed, ask if they are in liquid form. Usually you dont "blow" a staple if you vomit, but with a lap band you can slip the band if you have constant heaving and vomiting. I would ask the doc that anyway. If you need an antibiotic they usually give you a liquid form. Best wishes of course! Norm
SELIN N.
on 5/22/07 10:20 am - E. SANDWICH, MA

THANK YOU

Bariatric Bella
on 5/23/07 8:41 am - Dayton, OH
RNY on 11/02/05 with
Hey Selin I am 18 months out and havent posted in a long time. I had my surgery in Cali. but am now living here in MAss. I have been finding out lately that my doctors program and what he suggests is very different from the programs from around here. Spices are fine with me. In fact I love more spicy foods now and even crave them. Mind you not hot foods but spicy bold flavors. I eat garlic like it is butter on everything, roasted toasted and raw.LOL!!! I eat red pepper flakes and I can eat cumin and many other spices I love salsa. But everybody's body is different you wont know what you will want to eat till after the surgery. Believe me I am Italian and love pasta now I would rather have brocoli or mashed garlic potatoes over the pasta. Most of it is how your body will react to the foods once you reintroduce them to your digestive system.  When I got to my puree foods stage I had powdered garlic and mashed potatoes. My doctor said anythign was good to put in it as long as it was in a powder form and stay away from salt and high amounts of pepper as they both can inflam. When I take pills my doctor said nothing larger than 8mm. Which means most pills I split with a pill splitter. Also most pills have a coating on the outside so I just split them no matter what the size. Also if I can get it in liquid form I ask my doctors to write the scripe for the liquid form of any meds. Many docs are different on caplets. My doc says no as the gel outside may not dissolve in time to pass the stoma without stretching it. So I tablet everything and split it as well. You can take everymed but NSAIDS. so if you have pain higher than Tylenol EX strength just go to the doc tell them and you will get a stronger med. I have to all the time since I have tendonitis and a physical job. The dumping syndrome doesnt pop a staple that went out with the Mason procedure back in 20 plus years ago. There are three rows of titanium staples that are placed on either side of the stomach adn then the stomach is seperated from the newly formed pouch. This gives it an independant structure fromt he rest of the stomach organ. When you do throw up it comes up in the same state as when you swallowed it, so if your food was dry guess what you will feel like it is a massive hairball. EWHHH!!! Your digestive juices( acids) are reintroduced further down the intestinal track depending on how far the malabsorbtion the doctor decided on. The normal is 100 cm from the pouch the jujenum is reintroduced to the small intestine. There is where the junction of the food which you have eatena nd the stomach acid will then mix and do further digestion of the food particles. I hope this answers some of those questions. AMy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views