2 Weeks out and I feel GREAT! (a little long...)

mom2macd
on 5/16/07 12:50 am - Hull, MA
Hi all! The surgery was May 1 at B&W, and I am back to work today. I feel amazing! The days in the hospital (2) were ok. No sleep, of course, but I survived. For those of you wondering what you should bring - I brought nothing! I went home in what I went in with (big t-shirt and pajama bottoms - oh so comfy!) They gave me everything else. The worst part about the stay was the upper GI that was done the day after. Threw the stuff up! YUCK! They also had me drink it from a straw, which I think caused it to come back up again. I had a great room mate. It was nice being able to talk about what we are going through with someone! The pain was gone by day 5!! I couldn't believe it! I have had 3 c-sections, and those were killers. The first week home was tough - I would drink too fast, throw it up or have really bad pains in my chest. I also noticed that if there was a lot of comotion going on in the house - kids fighting, etc., I would get sick. That's when I realized that I was an emotional eater! Before I would grab whatever I could, eat it, and calm down. Now I have to work it out in my head. Getting in all of the protein and water was really difficult at first. I found that I needed my drinks really cold. I also had my husband buy me iced decaf coffees that I added some skim milk to with a splenda. That was heaven. I would also mix a little into the vanilla CIBs for a different flavor. The weirdest thing was my reaction to smells! My sister sent a beautiful flower arrangement to the house - lilacs and tulips - my favorite! The smell bothered me so bad that I had to keep them outside!! For anyone who is questioning this surgery, go for it. It was the best thing I ever did, and although I had a "breakdown" and cried hysterically one night, (what did I do, I must be crazy, etc), I have to say that May 1 will always be considered the best day of my "new" life!!
Cher B.
on 5/17/07 5:21 am - MA
Hey Denise, Congrats on your surgery and I am glad to hear you are doing well. Is the upper GI the day after surgery standard at the Brigham? You are lucky that you had a good roommate. Unfortunately, I did not have another gastric bypass patient for a roommate and she was in for knee surgery and she was high maintenance. Best wishes as you continue on your journey. ~Cher
mom2macd
on 5/17/07 5:56 am - Hull, MA
Hi Cher, Thank you! I am not sure if the upper GI is standard for the day after, but my room mate and I both had it done the day after and we both have the same medical team. Congrats to you, also! It feels nice to be on the losing side!! Denise
Lynnzie22
on 5/17/07 6:19 am - MA
Well thats just great, i had been wondering if this surgery will be like my c section boy was that painful. I think a breakdown is perfectly normal too i know ill prolly be crying lol my date is August 2nd at Mass General
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views