Recovery for Mom's Lap-GP

Heather_Momof4
on 4/30/07 3:09 am - MA
Hi to all, and thank you for your time... I have been scheduled for Lap/GP for July 10th. I have four children: son 7.5, daughter will be 4 (at time of surgery) and boy/girl twins who will be 2 (at time of surgery). I need honest MOM experiences and advice as to how to "set myself up for success" post-op. I have heard everything from "it's like recovering from a C-Section" to "you can't do anything for 3-6 weeks". I would be so GRATEFUL to hear from other mothers regarding their recovery, what they did to manage with kids and any advice they'd like to share. I was originally scheduled for surgery last October, but felt it was "too soon" with my twins being so young... I am really trying to use the time between now and the surgery date to line up proper help, etc. My husband works fulltime and won't be able to stay home for 2 weeks post-op, so I am hoping to set up friends and babysitters/mothers helpers... Also, I had 3 C-Sections with all my kids and recovered GREAT, so if you've had similar experience, I'd loooove to hear from you. Thanks again for your time and sharing your experience. Blessings, Heather
joslyn1106
on 4/30/07 6:02 am - lowell, MA
Hi Heather, I just had my surgery on 4/9. I have 3 children - 10, 8 and 6 (with down syndrome). My husband took FMLA for 2 weeks so I could focus on drinking and getting well. You have to drink every second of the day AND keep the journal so it's best to only be able to focus on you. Yes, you are right, all my children were c-section and this was just the same. I too bounced back on all the kids and found this to be just as easy. I'm glad my husband was here do do the cooking for them, cleaning and laundry. I went back to work at the end of 2 weeks and it's been fine since. I did get a little tired by the end of last week but it didn't last. Hope this helps. Karen.
Heather_Momof4
on 5/1/07 12:10 am - MA
Karen, I am so appreciative for you sharing your experience. It means a lot, so thank you for taking the time to respond. My husband is in the process of approaching his employer about re-scheduling some of his vacation days he had planned for August, to use them the week I am post-op. If they aren't willing to do this, he is prepared to file for the FMLA. Thank you for sharing that this is what your husband did. I was able to show my hubby your response, which helps him better understand the need for a stable recovery period. Hopefully our three youngest will still be covered for day-care, which will certainly help occupy them during the day. My biggest concern, and the main reason I postponed the surgery from last October, was being able to meet the needs of my family, without compromising my recovery. Your insights are valuable and greatly appreciated. Please keep in-touch, and let me know how your journey goes, especially since you're only a few weeks out. Blessings to you and yours, Heather
Marianne978
on 4/30/07 12:52 pm - Metrowest, MA
Heather, I had my surgery on March 5th and have lost 40lbs so far. I am a Mom of three boys 7, 5 and 2 1/2. When I got home I felt ok, a little tired and very emotional but I was able to focus on my kids too. My husband was home at night and during the day one went to school and the other two stayed with my mother and on occassions I hung out with my mother so that I had company. I wasnt able to lift any of them but I really did feel ok other than I cried alot for about 2 weeks. I had 3 sections and to be honest I didnt think this was as bad...lol I had great recoveries from my c-sections and so far I have been awesome since my gastric bypass. I do definatly feel you need help during the day if your husband is not around but I also feel you dont want your kids to feel that your not paying attention to them, its very tough for me to be selfish and when you have a 2 year old they always want there Mommy. I had no food issues and I drank lots of water and now I am on solid foods and I basically eat what i want but in smaller portions and watch my calorie intake. I walk 2 miles 4-5 days a week and in the beginning I took my kids for a walk with me and they LOVED it. I went back to work after 3 weeks but I was active and out and about after about a week and half. Everyone is different and so far I have been very lucky and I am so thankful. I wish you all the best of luck. If you have any more questions feel free to email me. Marianne
Heather_Momof4
on 5/1/07 12:18 am - MA
Marianne, Congratulations on your success thusfar! You must be ecstatic! Also, thank you for taking the time to respond. As a mother, I often feel that I learn best from other women and mothers in similar situations. It sounds like from my responses, that C-Section mom's have easier/similar recoveries. This comes as a great relief to me. I did great after all 3 of my C-Sections, and I am confident that I will recover well from my upcoming surgery. I think my 3 youngest will be covered during the day with daycare, and I am looking into day-camp programs for my oldest. I am hoping to keep their routine as normal as possible, and when we're all together at home in the evening, I'll be careful not to over-do it. My husband is being really supportive and trying to arrange time-off for at least a week post-op for me. I pray that his employer will comply. I was definitely planning on making my daily walks a family-thing, and I also feel like my decision to have this surgery will have a positive "trickle-down" affect on the family, as far as healthier eating and life-style choices. Ultimately, I am doing this for me, but really for them, and I think we will all benefit from the changes that will be made. I will definitely keep in touch, and congratulations on your 40lbs so far! Best wishes, Heather
M M
on 5/2/07 12:33 am
It hurts. But, somehow we manage. I'd like to write more when I don't have a baby in arms...
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views