gallstones

jereyes
on 4/23/07 9:15 am - Tyngsboro, MA
Has anyone had gallstones after having GBP? For the last three days I have been feeling awful. I get sharp pains in my stomach after I eat. It doesn't matter what I eat, it could be soft food like pudding or tougher food and I feel the same. I also feel sick as well and it hurts. I have never felt this way since having surgery 17 months ago. Can anyone give me any info. If I don't feel better tomorrow or the next day I will either call my surgeon or PCP. Thanks for any input. Janet
KatKat
on 4/23/07 9:42 am
Hi Janet, I haven't had them (I'm only 7 weeks out) but I think you should post this on the main board. It seems that this is an extremely common problem post WLS - my surgeon has me on Actigall (which stops gallstone formations) for 6 mos after surgery. I was also prescribed this a couple years ago when I went on a very low calorie liquid diet. I think the absence of fats in the gallbladder causes stones to form during rapid weight loss. I don't know the percentages, but I think the number (of folks who have RNY and still have a gallbladder and later have trouble and need the gallbladder out) is very very high. (That was a weird sentence - hope it made sense!) Good luck! ~Kathleen
jereyes
on 4/25/07 7:29 am - Tyngsboro, MA
Hi Kathleen Thanks for your response. I just spoke with my surgeon and his office is scheduling me to have an ulotrasound done of my gallbladder. Janet
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views