Help about Vitamins...

chanda875
on 4/7/07 1:15 pm - Farmington Hills , MI
Ok Guys...my wls date is April 18th, I want to know if anyone can tell me a good protein mix and vitamins that I can take!
Jeana W.
on 4/7/07 2:03 pm - Cambridge, MA
Hi LaChanda. Congratulations on your surgery date! You must be so excited! Tomorrow it'll be 10 more days! On the protein mix I've never tried any but I've heard that Nectar is really good. My doctors have me taking Flintstones complete w/Iron (the other choice was Centrum Chewable w/Iron) and Caltrate creamy bites for calcium. The caramel flavored ones aren't bad. The chocolate tastes like an Atkins bar or something. I wouldn't recommend them. Hope this helps... Jeana
nsb1010
on 4/7/07 9:25 pm
Hi, for protein powder I find the Protein Delite pretty good. I haven't tried that many, but so far that's what I like. Jeana, don't you have to take protein powder? What do you do, if you don't drink the shakes? Good Luck on your WLS!!! Only 22 days til I get mine, Can't wait! Nicole
Jeana W.
on 4/8/07 11:52 am - Cambridge, MA
Nicole, I'm supposed to get all my protein in with food. I need to have 60g of protein a day and 48 oz. of liquids. It's do able but I'm thinking of giving some protein powders a try. I think fitness connection has the cheapest prices. I'll have to check it out. Good Luck w/ surgery! Your day will be here in no time! Jeana
reggaedj
on 4/9/07 1:58 am - Cape Cod, MA
Good luck on your surgery!! Personally, I use several different protien drinks, so I dont get bored. I like Unjury, and Designer Protein, and Nectar. I also use protien bars--Power Crunch bars and Pure Protien bars are good. For vitamins, I take Centrum Silver chewables, and for calcium I take either Viactive chews or Caltrate chewables. I keep a variety around so I dont get tired of one particular kind. I also take B12 sublingual twice a week. Most of these things I have ordered online, except the Vitamins and Calcium, which I get at BJ's wholesale. Best of luck to you!
Marianne978
on 4/12/07 12:32 pm - Metrowest, MA
LaChanda, I almost 6 weeks out. In the beginning after surgery they ususally make you go to a chewable. I did centrum chewables and they are pretty good. As for protein I didnt mind the taste of Slimfast High Protein shakes but only the chocolate and vanilla...the strawberry tasted chalky...I would put it over ice and it worked. The other option is to get the unjury powder and spinkle it into your foods. I now 1 high protein bar in the AM or for a snack in the afternoon and its a nice treat. As for cost I went to Walmart and they are faily cheap. Everytime I have gone they always have centrum on sale. Good luck on your surgery! Marianne
rockinred
on 4/30/07 3:00 am - Boston, MA
Vitamins are too important to go cheap on. Until I was about 3 mos. post-op, I used chewable Bariatric Advantage vitamins and once I was confident I could handle capsules, I moved on to Vista Vitamins (specially designed for gastric bypass patients). If you go with the Vistas, take a calcium supplement along with them - Solgar makes an excellent chelated one (chelated means it's been treated so more is absorbed through the intestine - that helps post-op RNY patients!) or Tropical Oasis makes a great liquid calcium...Bariatric Advantage has one that dissolves in your mouth. I know you can get both Bariatric Advantage & Vistas at either www.bariatriceating.com or www.nashuanutrition.com. Bariatriceating.com also sells Tropical Oasis and Solgar calcium, but you can also get the Solgar calcium if you have a Vitamin Shoppe near you. PLEASE don't rely on Flintstones - they're designed for a 60 lb. child, not someone who has special vitamin needs. Surgeons recommend them because they're chewable & inexpensive - if they recommended an expensive special vitamin, fewer patients would comply and any vitamin is better than no vitamin BUT if you can afford it, better vitamins are worth every penny. A little bit more spent on vitamins can spare you health problems & further doctors fees if you're diagnosed with anemia or B-12 deficiency, etc., etc. I could definitely feel the difference even when I changed from the Bariatric Advantage to the Vistas!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views