Time to take the plunge...

KelleyMac
on 4/4/07 12:05 pm - South Shore, MA
Hi everyone ! Let me tell you ...you are all a great inspiration !! I have been looking into WLS for over a year now. It was first suggested to me by my PCP. I was totally frustrated by all the diets and going to gym and barely losing a pound, I know you all know the frustration. So, I have been a real chicken when it comes to actually making an appointment with the surgeon. The reason? Well, there are many but the biggest one is that I was involved in a serious automobile accident in 2003. Before the accident I had actually managed to lose a substantial amount of weight on my own and was feeling better about myself than I had in years. Due to the accident I sustained serious nerve damage to my left leg and my back. I now have RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy otherwise known as CRPS - Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome). I am on a steady diet of painkillers as well as an antidepressant, something for high blood pressure, something for pre-diabetes and something for high cholesterol. I am not trying to sound like a lost cause here but I am wondering if anyone else had serious medical complications and was still able to have the surgery? I am scared to deatht that now that I have made my mind up that this is the right thing for me I won't be able to do it because of all of the meds? Any thoughts?
Marianne978
on 4/4/07 1:06 pm - Metrowest, MA
Kelley, My advise to you would be go for a consult and talk with a doctor. Let them do what is best for you and your health. If you go to a good doctor they wont do surgery if they think you are at any risk. I can tell you that I had a friend who was on had diabetes/high blood pressure and was on antidepressants and they did the surgery on her however she needed to come off some of her meds right before surgery. But every doctor is different and everyones condition is different. It doenst hurt to at least go for a consult and discuss your options. I wish you the best of luck on your journey Marianne
Lauryn
on 4/5/07 3:30 am - Abington, MA
Hi Kelley, Gosh, we're neighbors! Ironic, but it wasn't until I had several other complications that I got serious about doing WLS. That was last summer. They wanted to oprate on the degenerating discs in my back, but I knew that at the weight I was then, the coup time would be many months, if not years. So, when The Lord, touched my life with an old acquaintence, who had the surgery a year before, I knew it was the right way to go and have not looked back since. If your PCP is recommending it, then he must feel that your other problems will not impact your chances of coming through the WLS. I'd love to recommend my surgen, Dr. Donald Hess. He's on the surgeon's page here. He has consult appointments at both Boston Medical Center and Quincy Hospital, so it was convenient for scaredy-cats like me who hate driving into Boston. He will give you honest answers and I guaruntee you'll fall in love with his smile just like the rest of us did. I've never met a surgeon with such wonderful people skills. Email me at home & maybe we can chat - [email protected]. God Bless, Laurie
KelleyMac
on 4/5/07 6:32 am - South Shore, MA
Thanks to both of you for the comments. Laurie, I sent you an e-mail. The more I look around the more info I get and that makes me feel much better. I think it's kind of ironic that I am hearing people say over and over again that they are afraid because they are afraid to fail... I have the same fears and on the other hand ...I have yet to read of anyone failing. I try to keep that in mind.
marieh
on 4/5/07 8:21 am - So. Easton, MA
Hi Kelley, We're not far from each other either! I put off even thinking about this for a year. In that year, I dieted, exercised, took much better care of me....and gained 28 pounds. I'm a type 1 diabetic on a pump with back to back heart attacks behind me. Before I ahve a stroke, I want the weight OFF so I can not only see my daughter marry in May, but any future grandchildren I might be gifted with! After my heart attacks in 2004, waking up every day is a gift in itself...and I"m finally NOT going to abuse the greatest gift we get anymore. So at some point this summer, (post-wedding) I let Dr. Hess do his thing and start the next chapter of my life! Glad you've found this site as I am and I can say this is THE best place for support!!! Marie
M M
on 4/8/07 10:30 am
I just wanted to wish you luck!
KelleyMac
on 4/9/07 11:42 am - South Shore, MA
Thanks everyone. I called today to make an appointment with a surgeon that was recommended by quite a few people here (thank you all very much for the info!). So the wheels are in motion...I'm still a little nervous but now that I took the initial step ... I am really excited !!
M M
on 4/13/07 4:56 am
Congrats on taking the first steps.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs