newton wellesley meetings.

Dderosier
on 3/23/07 9:06 am - Worcester, MA
Hello- How have the meetings been at newton wellesley? I attended about five of them pre-op, had surgery and haven't been back since. I had my 9mo follow up with Dr. Gazmuri today and although he was happy with my weight loss, he wasn't very happy that I haven't been taking my vitamins and attending meetings. How do people feel about the meetings post-op? Are they as interesting as they were before surgery? Thanks, Dave
DDBEAR458
on 3/23/07 10:55 pm - WORCESTER, MA
i don't know if you'll be back to even read your reply's but for anyone else who is interested in reading this, it's for you. i believe it's imperative that we attend regular meetings even if it's once a month. i am a proud member of AA, so i use that as my forum. i can go to the support meetings at UMASS, because i too am from worcester but had my surgery with Gazmuri. i log onto this web site at least 10 times a day for support. its wonderful. and for the vitamins? are you CRAZY. do you want to have something go wrong with your immune system? you can get something to go wrong in your brain as well without the proper nutrients. i know that they taste awful but so what. you need us just as much as we need you. Pay if forward as they say.
KatKat
on 3/24/07 1:25 am
Hi Dave, Dr. Partridge was my surgeon and I'm not quite 3 weeks out. When I went for my 10 day post-op appt. she encouraged me to attend the meetings and I went this past Tues. night. I was glad I went. Sometimes I think the beginning part of the meeting - where Mary (the counselor) talks about general stuff like relaxation - doesn't really apply to me - but when we start talking about the surgery and you get to hear from all sorts of people from all walks of life, that is very helpful. I was stressing out because I didn't know how to get all my fluids and meals in and a woman a couple years post-op said "Hey, you made it through 2 weeks!" Sounds simple but it helped me. One thing I've found about this surgery - people love to talk to you about it. I have met tons of people on this website and also in the waiting room of Dr Partridge and Gazmuri. I found myself opening up to a woman who was pre-op and sharing information with her. At the meetings, recent post-ops can learn from "old-timers" and I think it helps the folks that are a few years out to hear from people like me - it reminds them where they came from. I think it always helps to know you are not alone in any situation. So, yes, please try another meeting! Occasionally someone with a strong personality tries to monopolize the conversation but Mary is pretty good at reeling them in. It is definitely worth another try! Hope this helps. Kathleen
Lesliee59
on 3/25/07 12:40 am - Needham, MA
Dave, I go the NWH meetings and I didn't even have surgery there. I really enjoy them. I have met many wonderful people there who are great for support. Can you blame Dr. Gazumuri for not be happy that you are not taking your vitamins? Why aren't you taking them? You don't want to end up with a vitamin deficiency. The best follow up is following the doctor's orders. Leslie
Cher B.
on 3/26/07 6:55 am - MA
Hi Dave, Oh please take those vitamins so you keep in good health! It is tough for me to speak on whether the meetings are as interesting after surgery as they were before since I have not yet had surgery. It does seem that the folks who are post-op have lots to share and questions of their own so I think it would be worth while. Whoever is going to the meeting often posts a day or two before to see who will be there. This gives us all a chance to look for familiar faces at the meeting. Hope to see you at a meeting soon! ~Cher
Cher B.
on 4/3/07 9:40 am - MA
Hi Dave, Hope to see you at the meeting this Thurs night. ~Cher
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 686 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2256 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4444 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs