Lowell General, anyone??

nsb1010
on 3/20/07 7:11 am
Just wondering if anyone out there went through LGH for their WLS. I'm coming up on my consult w/ the surgeon and everything looks good so far. Just wondering what to expect as far as liquid diet pre-op, and how long it takes after consult w/surgeon. Thanks!!! Nicole
DDBEAR458
on 3/20/07 7:55 am - WORCESTER, MA
hi nicole! welcome to this great website. im so addicted to this website and i've already had my surgery. i remember when i first started coming here, i was so excited and nervous and scared. i thought this surgery was for "other people" until I finally got out of denial. eveyone said that I didn't need the surgery. bull **** i know what i looked like naked, lol. i read your profile. 4 kids. God bless you! i have two and tht's enough for me. i went to Newton Wellesley. they were wonderful there. i had mine on January 16 and I'm down 37 pounds and went from size 20 jeans to 14. it's so amazing. i wish you all the luck in your journey. please keep us informed and if you have any questions, please just ask away!
Clare C.
on 3/20/07 8:06 am - North Andover, MA
Hi Nicole, I had my surgery in Boston at Beth Israel. Just make sure with Lowell General that they have a dedicate bariatic staff. At Beth Israel you meet with the whole team and it is the same people all the time. You want to make sure that they have a nutritionist and nursing staff that only catering to WLS patients. Also make sure that they have monthly support groups there. The reason I chose Beth Israel is because of these things, plus I have a great surgeon too! Good luck. Clare
nsb1010
on 3/20/07 9:29 am
Thanks so much you guys!! I'm very, very excited and a little impatient to get the surgery and weight done with. This site has been very helpful and informing. Actually, I think it has made my decision about the surgery more firm. I really wanted to know about the liquid diet. I hope I can make it. I just wonder how long I will have to do it. The nut already told me to do it for 2 days, along w/ pureed for 2 days. Do you think that will be all, or that's just the beginning? Thanks again!, Nicole
Clare C.
on 3/20/07 9:36 am - North Andover, MA
Hey Nicole, Each doctor is different. I only had to lose 10 pounds before surgery and only did one day of liquid the day before. That said I did do part liquid and some food to lose the weight. That way I got to try a lot of different drinks. Since my surgery I have to be on liquids for 3 weeks. I can't wait to go on the next stage. Only a week to go on liquids. Good luck, Clare
nsb1010
on 3/20/07 10:27 am
I've been following you're story, Clare. I'm so happy for you! Have you found a protein powder you like? Take care! Nicole
KristineMarie
on 3/21/07 7:18 am - Townsend, MA
Hey Nicole, I went to Emerson but I think it's the same group of Dr's. I had Dr Shen and Dr Shore and Dr Jiser are in the same practice. I only had to do the liquid diet the day before the surgery. I heard Jiser and Shore are very strict about the preop weight loss but Dr Shen not so much. If you have any other questions PM me. Best of luck in your journey.
Marianne978
on 3/21/07 4:23 am - Metrowest, MA
Nicole, I have my surgery 14 days ago at NW hosp and as you know every doctor is different but I didnt have to lose weight prior to surgery..I have been on a puree diet since my surgery on March 5th until April 5th and then I get boosted and then I dont really know what is allowed....As for difficult yes even though you have this surgery you still suffer or at least I did from "head hunger" and fortunate for me I dont have any eating issues right now and I can drink my water pretty normal (some have to sip and some feel sick constantly and some even feel full and have to force themselves to eat) I dont seem to have that problem but my doctor says I doing fine and thats all normal....Since my pre-op I have lost 13lbs in 2 weeks and I dont get on the scale so I dont know if I have lost any more...haha. I wish you the best of luck and trust me rely on this website the people are wonderful and you get great responses. Marianne
~ Stylz ~
on 3/23/07 5:34 pm - North of Boston, MA
hi Nicole I had surgery with the team that is now at Lowell General. They have an excellent team of doctors (Dr. Shore who was trained by the leading lap band surgeon in the US, Dr. Jiser who founded the practice and Dr. Shore who completed over 300 bariatric cases during her fellowship under Dr. Shikora at Tufts New England Medical Center in Boston). The team (who is moving to a new building that will include our own fitness center and meeting room for support group meetings) includes 3 doctors, a clinic manager, a nurse (one who is able to do lap band fills), medical assistant, an insurance co-ordinator, a bariatric behavioral therapist and 2 nutritionists. They're a great group and are there for you either on the phone or in person! I wasn't on a liquid diet only the day before surgery, but if you don't lose the required amount of weight then the nutritionist might put you on a liquid diet for a week to help you lose the weight so its going to depend on you. I think the required amount is 5% I had to lose 13lbs and did so. Someone who had surgery a few weeks after me didn't lose all the weight and was on 2 liquid shakes and 1 meal for a week. They say it takes about 2 months from your first appt. I had my first appt at the end of December and had surgery on March 13th so it was just about that time frame. If you have questions about the program, feel free to send me an email
nsb1010
on 3/24/07 12:20 pm
Hi Stylz- thanks for all the great info. i really feel confident with my choice of surgeons and facilities. I didn't realize they have their own fitness center. Do you know if there is a membership fee and how much and when it opens? Also, I've had all my appts. I meet Dr. Shore next week. I'm afraid my mtg with Mary Beth might interfere because I felt that I had ameltdown. i cried and really started in about my personal stuff, like I was in speaking with a therapist or something (Maybe I should start counseling). Oh, well, i should soon find out. I'm having trouble with the weight loss, I've only lost 7 out of 14 lbs. I need to lose. I need to find a better protien shake that tastes good, any suggestions? Thanks for all your help. Congrats on your progress!! Nicole
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 686 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2256 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4444 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4579 views