Gaining back weight

Nancee X.
on 3/16/07 9:36 am - ....., CA
My money was very well spent on my lap band surgery. I have been a size 4 now since July of 2006. It doesn't get any better than this. The surgery was so painless and easy I drove myself home from the hospital. I can eat anything and swallow any size pill. I am sorry to hear you are having problems. You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Good luck to you.
(deactivated member)
on 3/16/07 10:21 am - Aberdeen, WA
Hi Paula, feel free to click on my profile.
Nancy Degenmeister
on 3/16/07 1:27 pm - Bergen County, NJ
Your pre-op research should have made it very clear tha*****pically takes 3-5 fills to get properly adjusted. The band isn't a fast-out-of-the-gates WLS...ANY loss during the healing phase (first 6 weeks) and prior to getting properly restricted is a bonus and not to be expected. The early phases take patience. Just make sure, while you're going through the fill process, that you're working on as many eating behaviors as you can, such as not drinking with meals or for an hour after, taking small bites and chewing thoroughly, not rushing, not letting meals go on longer than 20-30 minutes, focusing on healthy solid foods, eating protein first, then produce then starch if you're still physically hungry. If you're not already on the lap-band board, I recommend highly that you join us...lots of information and support there from knowledgeable bandsters. Nancy
Marivonne Diaz
on 3/16/07 2:32 pm - Austin, TX
Well.. if lapband doesnt work, how is it that I have lost 109 pounds in 8 months?
Madcow
on 3/16/07 6:26 pm - MA
It usually takes three to five fills to get good restriction and you typically need to wait 4-6 weeks between fills. When you finally get restriction, you will be able to lose wait at a comfortable rate. So the most important criteria for a successful band patient is patience. The other key factors to success are eating solid protien first, drink lots of water, exercise and no snacking. Although the weight loss may be slower than the bypass. I view that as an advantage since my body had a chance to adjust to the change. The other key advantage of the lapband over the bypass as I see it is that it is always adjustable. It seems that many Rny folks are able to lose weight for a period of time (18 months or so) and then may gain it back. Bandsters always have the option to get an adjustment - add more saliene to increase their restriction and kickstart their weightloss again. You are still fairly early in the game - so be patient and get filled on a regular basis. Excellent aftercare is critical for bandsters. The problem I see is that some of the top Mass bariatric surgeons as a group are fairly biased against the band - which is why someone might have said that they havent heard anything good about the band. I wish there were some local surgeons who truly believes in the band. (Does anyone know of any around here?)
Cher B.
on 3/17/07 5:04 am - MA
I can't say that I am aware of any of the surgeons trying to sway their patients one way or another. My choice was made when I went to my consult so there was not a need for my surgeon to weigh the pros and cons of one surgery vs another with me. When I started my research, my PCP had suggested Dr. Ashley Vernon who performs the lapband at Brigham and Women's. She did a live surgery for the company that makes the lapband which you can see on the internet. I would have to guess if you are looking for a local surgeon that truly believes in the band she would be a good bet. I would hope that any surgeon who performs the lapband (or RNY or DS...) truly believes in the surgery. The decision to have surgery and the type you choose is very personal and I respect the decsion each of has made or is in the process of making.
Katie R.
on 3/18/07 3:04 am - Marlborough, MA
I didnt mean to offend you all i just thought i would share my father was having the same problems... he lost abotu 30 pounds and gained it all back also... not sure what hes doing about the fills but... his surgery hasnt worked... i ddint mean to say that the lap ban doesnt work at all... it just didnt seem to for my father... maybe because he doesnt have the will power you need...or the right fill yet but sorry if i offended any lap banders out there... i didnt mean too... good luck with ur weight lost.... youll get the right fill and soon be on to a new you... Katie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views