Gaining back weight

Katie R.
on 3/14/07 11:29 am - Marlborough, MA
My father was banded last year lost about 30 pounds and gained it all back... i personally dont think lap band does anything... at least i havent seen any good results from it personally... no offense...
Pam M.
on 3/15/07 2:54 pm - Western, MA
Don't let some of these folks discourage you. If you go to the Lap Band Forums (the page reads info about the proceedure) and the navagation bar to the left has a spot to click to go to the forums. Someone there will have some more insight and helpful responses. To some of the previous posters: saying you haven't heard anything good about a surgery someone has already had is very discouraging. How would you feel if someone said I haven't heard anything good about RNY? These kinds of statements make me want to leave this board. It's a shame to because for a lot of people the Lap Band is the right decision and it works out great.
Lesliee59
on 3/15/07 10:14 pm - Needham, MA
I agree with what Pam said. This is one of my favorite boards and now I am thinking of leaving it also. I had lapband and lost A LOT of weight. I come on here and support the bypass patients. I wish them well and congratulate them on their weight losses. This is a MA WLS board, not a RNY or Lapband band, so their should be NO bashing of other's surgery choice. I'm not sure where she had her surgery, but she needs a fill. Leslie
(deactivated member)
on 3/16/07 7:30 am - Zimbabwe
I agree. Shame, shame, shame! First of all, go read the published medical literature, smarty pants-es. Ignorance is just as unhealthy and unflattering as obesity. You those of you here who I've been supportive...no matter what surgery you've chosen.... I'm sorry you didn't have the same respect for my choice, as I've shown for yours.
Cathleen S.
on 3/16/07 8:37 am
Thanks for supporting her Pam. It's important for us to help eachother regardless of the wls we chose or didn't choose. Losing weight is hard for everyone! I applaud your kindness and support of others! ~Cathleen
~ Michelle ~
on 3/16/07 7:42 am - GLAMOROUS, TX
Please dont give up!! Look at my profile and it tells my whole process. DOWN -80 POUNDS my surgery was 4/19/06... G O O D - L U C K!!!
DramaQueenz
on 3/16/07 7:45 am - Patriots Nation, MA
Uh-Oh! Looks like some people haven't researched properly. If you did, you would know of many band success stories. Shame, Shame! I hope surgeons didn't talk them into their surgery choice by doing a bash & sale. You should wish people luck no matter what surgery they have. What (you know who you are) just did was ignorance at its finest.
Cathleen S.
on 3/16/07 8:46 am
Hey hun sounds like you are going through a very normal (and the most difficult) stage of banding. Your healed your hungry and you don't have a good fill for restriction yet. Why don't you pop onto the lapband forum and get some support from others who have been where you are! Banding is very different from rny in a lot of ways. It might help for you to talk to others who have not only "heard"good things but who are doing good things. I was banded 9/25 and am down from 328 to 266 since then. Support is KEY so come on over to the band board. Click forums and when it drops down click the lapband link then on the left click the message board link. See you there! ~Cathleen
golfgirl
on 3/16/07 9:07 am - Ludlow, MA
Just wanted to acknowledge those supportive responses. Wow, the first replies were so negative I crawled in bed in the afternoon and stayed there till the next morning. I will check out the lapband forums as you have suggested. Didn't intend to create such a fuss.
lorisb
on 3/17/07 1:05 pm - Vancouver, WA
I just saw your post and, Paula, I have to say you are really in the most challenging part of the lap band process! After this it does get better. You definitely need to achieve adequate restriction BEFORE you'll notice any significant weight loss. In fact, you might even gain! I started out at 427 pounds in Oct. 2005 and got down to 392 in January (without a fill). Then I started gaining back even though I continued to get fills... In Oct. 2006 I got my 6th fill (I have the larger band and I've also had conservative fills). I have always had a little bit of restriction but NOTHING like restriction when my last fill kicked in in January. Yep, it took months before my last fill even kicked in (this IS also unusual)! The result of that last fill kicking in? I'm now down to about 380. But I was at 403 in December. That last fill, with MUCH better restriction has meant the difference between night and day! Its fine to get frustrated but DON'T give up hope! The lap band takes time and patience. Look at me -- I didn't lose (and actually gained) for 9 months after I lost my initial weight. And, as a larger person, statistically I should be losing more quickly than I have but I also have medical reasons that contribute to my slow loss. I have certainly not given up and I refuse to give up on you! Lori
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views