Food in the first month?

shelleyfitz
on 3/4/07 7:35 am - Hubbardston, MA
Hi everyone, I just had surgery about a week ago. I'm already struggling w/ food. I'm already so over the shakes, the Isopure, the jello, soup, pudding... I'm looking to find what people ate in their first month to see if there may be something else I can choose from. I really appreciate any responses. Thanks!
DDBEAR458
on 3/4/07 9:22 am - WORCESTER, MA
hi shelley, i had surgery with Gazmuri on January 16. you cant have anything for a month!!! i know it was tough for me too, especially the third week. I was about to lose my mind if i didn't have FOOD. i'm just now beginning to try new stuff. you really must do what they tell you. i think in the third week i went to wendy's and got a cup of chile. oh, it was so damn good and renee said that it was alright. have you tried cottage cheese? scrambled eggs w/cheese? egg salad? i loved egg salad the first few weeks. have you tried a baked potatoe with cheese and sour cream? just be careful with the potatoe. only eat half and see how full you get. try some tomato soup and melt in some ricotta cheese. it tastes like lasagna without the noodles. sugar free fudgesicles are good too. i also ate oatmeal. try mashing a banana. i also ate peanut butter by the spoon. just try a tiny amount at first to see if it agrees with you. it's weird now because i have no appetite now. it's very controlling. i love it. i don't miss eating like a cow. i do miss guzzling water though. i cant seem to quench that thirst. but it will get better. i live in worcester. email me anytime. good luck. your doing awsome!!!!!
shelleyfitz
on 3/4/07 9:36 am - Hubbardston, MA
Hi Deirdre! Thank you so much for your response. I've been having a rough couple of days...crying/regretting doing surgery. I will definitely try the things you mentioned. They all sound so good to me right now actually. When you made your egg salad, what type of mayo did you use? What kind of oatmeal did you have? Congrats on where you're at now. I wish I was almost 3 months out. What have you been eating now?
DDBEAR458
on 3/5/07 12:56 am - WORCESTER, MA
I had egg salad with reg. mayo. i used just a little bit as i don't like my eggs swimming in mayo. salt and pepper. and for oatmeal., quacker, brown sugar and cinnamon. i had no problem with that. i only ate half the packet though. i cried every day too. i had nightmares IN THE HOSPITAL. i'm better now. i've lost 30 pounds. i am trying anything and everything except salad and bread. can't have salad yet and bread got stuck one day. i don't want to go back to bread anyway. maybe whole wheat but not right now. have you tried refried beans? also, they have those already cooked mashed potatoes in different varieties. garlic, butter, etc. try those too with gravy. some people have even blended up lein cuisene meals in their blender. i didn't do that. oh, try sweet potato too w/ butter. that was good.
manchenton
on 3/6/07 3:43 am
Shelley - It's hard to advise on food when each program is so different so always check with your NUT before taking anyone's advice. On my program at MGH, I was able to go to soft protein after 2 weeks. This included moist meat and eggs. I've done lots of fish cooked in diced tomatoes, ground chicken in fat free chicken gravy, black beans, lentils, and the best thing was a turkey chili. In the morning, scrambled eggs using a few herbs satisfied me instead of another carnation instant breakfast. I am 4+ weeks out and I still am not allowed to eat any starches. I was told to limit any fat intake so butter is out but light mayo is okay. I've made egg and tuna salad often. One hint I've enjoyed is to add hummus (lemon flavored is great) to your tuna so that you limit the mayo content. I'm 25+ pounds down so something about this program is working for me. I haven't felt deprived. Each week, it seems I can add something new to keep the interest alive. Maybe you should ask your NUT if there is a progressive plan to add something new each week. It gave me something to look forward to.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views