How have your relationships changed after WLS?

KellyMASS
on 2/27/07 3:45 am - MA
I'm wondering how things have changed with spouses after having wls... Or with any family members.
Cher B.
on 3/1/07 12:47 am - MA
Hi Kelly, I haven't had my surgery yet so I don't have an answer to your question. I see that you are planning to have your surgery at NWH. That is where I will be having my surgery and I wanted to tell you that my impression of the practice there has been great. Best wishes in your journey. ~Cher
Bariatric Bella
on 3/4/07 4:40 am - Dayton, OH
RNY on 11/02/05 with
Well most things are still the same, and some extended family memebers I think will never truely grasp what I have done. They just know I eat different and look great. For instance my mother came to stay with us threw out the holidays and she got a chance to see me dump adn having trouble with some foods as I am still introducing new foods to my system. My husband knew I ate pork adn a bite of rice waited and then ten minutes later was running to the bathroom as rice and pasta are still not my friend. I still try after a few months as my doctor has told me just because it doesnt go down the first time wait a while let some time pass and try again in a few weeks. My mother got a good hard look at how strict I am within my cooking and the way I shop with only my families health in mind. In fact she loved my cooking but hated the fact that I read every label and compared things over adn over again. Between fat and sugar will this make me dump if I fix this tonight is always the question and if the answer was maybe than it wasnt on the menu. I cook very different than how she raised me to cook in fact it was a very different experienc efor her as well. But relationships with friends when they are my real friends they actually wanted to know all about how i stay healthy now and usually when we go out to eat we talk about where to go adn actually I have to remind them that any resturant is ok. If they have a menu I can pick somethign from it. It takes some getting use to but after awhile they really dont care it is somethign they accept like anything else in your like just a new change and a real friend changes with it. I have lost a few people to my changes but I think it was because being around a big woman as myself made them feel better about themselves and when I was shrinking they didnt like being around me and my changes bothered them. they gradually faded into the back. Many of them kicking themselves for how they treated me. I know that I am more outspoken about my feelings being hurt now. I look at it like this I faced death of the operating table to have my life back I am not goign tolet anyone try to sabbatoge my new chance at life. Sorry there life sucks but it doesnt have to be projected at me. This is my opinion on it, Amy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views