not approved for bypass, approved for lap band

vanaz
on 2/23/07 9:54 am
Hello! I am 62 years old, set for bypass surgery but then was told that I was hypoglycemic which can cause complications after surgery so....I was only approved for lap band. While I trust the doctor's recommendations, it is difficult to change my way of thinking and long decision process from bypass to lap band. It would be helpful to hear about other's positive results from the band. And what they did to make it so positive....I liked the restrictions of bypass and am so afraid I won't do well with the band. I need encouragement to psychologically prepare for surgery at the end of March. Thanks so much!!! Vanaz
DDBEAR458
on 2/23/07 8:54 pm - WORCESTER, MA
hi Nancy. I don' know much about lap band but i wanted to respond to you because so many people helped me out on these boards. I want you to know that you are definately not alone. Its wonderful that you are approved for lap band. be positive in your thinking and look up the lap band message board. Good Luck!
Beth1019
on 2/27/07 12:00 am - Marlboro, MA
Good Morning Vanaz, I had lap band surgery last June - since I started the process I have lost over 40 pounds. But, it is slow or maybe I just don't have enough patience...ha ha. I'm happy with my choice - I feel like I have more control. Once they start putting in your fills you get the restriction that you need - over time. So that teaches you to eat slow and find what works for you and what doesn't. I wanted a quick fix that the weight just fell off - this isn't the case. But I'm working at. In fact just last week - I made myself a new set of goals and I feel better. I know when I got for my next fill in a couple of weeks the scale will be my friend!! Good luck to you - your band will work for you!!
vanaz
on 2/27/07 5:59 pm
Hi Beth, Thanks for your reply! Congrats on your weight loss!! I am having surgery at BIDMC and will get the exact date when I meet with Dr. Schneider on 3/8/07. The quick fix vs. the patience to go the slow route (not that either is easy...) is what I am trying to accept in preparing psychologically for surgery. When I start worrying, I will read your email as a reminder....what helped you while waiting for your first fill? Where did you have your surgery? It must be great to see the scale as a friend rather that the enemy!!! Thanks again. Vanaz
Beth1019
on 2/27/07 8:55 pm - Marlboro, MA
Hello again Vanaz, I had my surgery on June 22, 2006 at UMass Memorial in Worcester. It was pretty simple thing - I went in on Thursday afternoon and left the hospital on Friday morning. I had to stay over for 2 reasons - Sleep apnea and my surgery started much later than planned. But I rested for the weekend and went to work on Monday morning. I was sore but nothing too bad - I'm not one to be kept down anyway. I was on protein drinks to begin with and was able to get those down fine. That was hard with the 4th of July parties!! But it was okay - getting to the 1st fill wasn't really that bad. I was getting used to the band. Fills aren't bad at all - I was nervous - but after my first one - now they don't even bother me. I think that is the reason I really like the band - it is controlled - you will always have restriction. I have read with gastric bypass that feeling of full wears off in a 2-3 years post op. I NEED that feeling of full. Now I'm going to be honest here - I have not worked this as well as I should. I know I have could have done better. But last week when lent started I gave up candy - my downfall!!! and I promised to hit the gym at least 4 times a week. I know it has only been a week - but you know what - I already feel better. I am drinking my water and eating what I should when I shoule. WOW was a difference - I wish I had started this before - my results would have been better. Don't get me wrong - I have been loosing - and each time I go for a fill I am down 2-3 pounds - but that is it. I only go for a fill every 6 weeks - I just wasn't working hard enough. This band is NOT an instant cure - but it soooo helps. Sorry this was so long - just had alot to share I guess. I wish you all the best!!
vanaz
on 2/28/07 8:07 pm
Hi Beth, Thanks for your reply and your honesty! I consider myself a food addict not so much with sweets but certainly carbohydrates....so....I have to be very careful not to try and go back to old behavior and thinking. I can completely understand how changes do take time and the band will not be a quick fix (even though I wi**** would be!!!!!). It really is a process of trial and error isn't it? Sounds like you are learning and by sharing with me, I am learning too. I am an OA (overeaters annonymous) member which provides me with wonderful support around compulsive overeating; however, I could not stay with my food plan no matter how hard I tried....My friends in OA are supportive of the band as another tool along with the tools of OA...so I plan to continue going to meetings. I do not plan on sharing my surgery with everyone there. (I am not pushing OA. Everyone has to find their own way). Your experience is helping me to try and stay realistic right from the beginning. I can't believe you went right back to work. You really sailed thru it all!! I am hoping to do the same. I have my own business. Fortunately (or not so fortunately) I sit on a couch all day. Not physically strenuous. I do commute from NH to Mass., but not a long stressful commute. I'm thinking I would plan on being off one-two weeks, certainly sooner if possible. My biggest worry at the present time is being hungry during the initial phase prior to the first fill...work would really help me not to focus on myself and food thoughts. I'm so glad to hear that you are still really happy that you got the band!!! It is also good to be reminded that it can always be adjusted down the road unlike the bypass!!! Have a good day! Vanaz
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views