Dr Shen

KristineMarie
on 2/7/07 6:12 am - Townsend, MA
If anyone had Dr Shen, does he make you do a liquid diet pre-op? If so, for how long?
donnafc
on 2/12/07 4:22 am - Lowell, MA
I had Dr. Shen, 9/05 and no he didn't make me do a pre-op, other than to make sure that I lost the predetermined amount of weight. Losing the % up front allows you liver to shrink and make the operation easier. Where and when are you having the surgery? donna
KristineMarie
on 2/12/07 4:37 am - Townsend, MA
I'm having it done at Emerson on 2/28. I just got the call a few minutes ago that I was approved. I'm scared to death.
donnafc
on 2/13/07 2:29 am - Lowell, MA
Kristine, I can understand being afraid. Once the call came in I thought "what the heck am I doing" why can't I just loose the weight. The surgery went better than I could have expected. I had mine at St. Memorial in Lowell. I was up and about that day. Moving gingerly. I spent one night in ICU which I believe is standard for his bypass patients, then one night on the floor. That second day I could hardly wait to get home. I was hunger the first couple of days(head hunger), but then one day I woke up and for the first time my thoughts weren't on food. I consider myself a success. I started out at 290 and now weigh 168. I am 5'8" tall and would like to continue to drop some more weight, but if I don't that is ok. I went from a size 26 to a 10-12. Dr. Shen is very gentle. He has the smallest hands. He is soft spoken and is very complete. It does get harder the further out you are. I find that I am a lot like other women who need to loose just a few pounds. I can but try not to eat sweets. If you have any questions just ask and good luck to you. It will be life changing. donna
KristineMarie
on 2/13/07 3:09 am - Townsend, MA
Thanks so much for the support. I'm a little better today. I'll be ok, I'm hell bent on losing this weight.
Melissa W.
on 2/19/07 11:50 pm - Fitchburg, MA
Hi Kristine, I came across your post. I also had Dr Shen as my surgeon. He is amazing. He is such a nice person and a great doctor. I had no pain or complications afterwards. I also had it done at Emerson. I wasn't on a pre liquid diet, just a regular diet to lose 5% of my body weight. The only liquid diet was the day before surgery. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask me. Take care, Best of luck and wishes on your upcoming surgery Melissa
KristineMarie
on 2/20/07 12:41 am - Townsend, MA
Thanks so much for the info Melissa. I really do like him a lot also. Some people told me he had no bedside manner but I find him just very reserved and if you chat with him he's very responsive to it. I gave him a hard time and told him he couldn't go drinking the night before my surgery and he thought that was funny. I'm more looking forward to it than I am nervous anymore. Now I'm just trying to stay healthy because I have school age children and a house full of the croup. If I can keep from getting that I should be good to go on the 28th. Please keep in touch. Kristine
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 686 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2256 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4444 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4579 views