Small meals post surgery.

dlofstrand
on 2/1/07 5:08 am
This question is for all of you post surgery folks out there. I know I need to ask the nutritionist but have any of you ever used a Lean Cuisine or a Weigh****cher type frozen meal rather than cooking meat and a vegetable to take to work for lunch? I've found lots of web sites for protein shakes but nothing for a quick meal if your not in the mood for cooking or someplace where you just can't cook.
tmtrkm
on 2/1/07 9:43 am - MA
Kashi makes meals now and my NUT introduced them to me. I think they taste great are high in protein and are worth the 3.99 for a meal.
Peridot
on 2/2/07 4:23 am - Somerville, MA
Yes, I started using the meals when I came back to work at about 2 months. I myself don't like the Kashi but to be honest, I'm not crazy over any of them. However, when you're in a pinch, they'll do. Lean Cuisine makes a meat loaf that was decent. Don't forget you can make meatballs and chili and bring that. When I came back to work, I made about 3 gallons of gravy and meatballs. I then froze two meatballs and gravy in tupperware and it was perfect. One other thing I've tried is the South Beach Breakfast wraps. They're pretty good although I don't eat all the wrap. Good luck, Peridot
txbunny930
on 2/2/07 4:33 am - MA
So my question with meatballs - do you make them with turkey or beef or both? Do you make them like you did pre op with bread crumbs? I know, dumb questions but I sooooo want meatballs right now.
Peridot
on 2/3/07 9:36 am - Somerville, MA
I made my meatballs the same way I've been making them for years; with bread not breadcrumbs. I figure it like this; I'm only eating a meatball or two and there's not that much bread in them. peridot
jereyes
on 2/2/07 6:21 am - Tyngsboro, MA
There are very few I like but I occasionally have a lean cuisine meal or a smart one. I also make chilli then freeze into small individual meals as well as lasagna and borritos. Tuna fish or egg salad is always another option. You can eat it plain or I put mine on a whole wheat wrap or pita bread. There are many simple meals that you will be able to think of to replace frozen meals. There are usually alot of carbs and sodium in the fozen meals.
Stellabella
on 2/2/07 8:04 pm
Hi- The frozen dinners are often used because they are portable, and the meat is soft. Have to be careful with the calories, usually around 300 or so is a decent guideline. (you know, some of those can be upwards of 600-800 calories) Sometimes the protein is a bit low and you need to add a bit more protein, and even a veggie to go with it. THe Kashi and Lean cuisine spa cuisine are made with brown rices and a bit more fiber so they are a bit healthier. Some other portable ideas include using perdue short cuts (chicken), individually packaged cottage cheeses, south beach wraps, hummus and veggies etc. STella Hope you got the pudding email
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views