I have a date but........

Clare C.
on 1/25/07 11:29 pm - North Andover, MA
Hi All, I have a date of March 5th for surgery but my surgeon is considered with the fact that I take Remicade for Rheumatoid Arthritis. I was so excited to get the date but then with the Doctors concerns now I am a little afraid..... Remicade can cause infections and it can also slow down the healing in the body. Very Big concern if the body doesn't heal and you have leaks and the surgery falls apart you will not survive. That is the worst case scenario. I will very possible be fine with the surgery but the surgeon wants to get the approve of my Rheumy....... Do things ever go easy???? Clare
KatKat
on 1/26/07 2:10 am
Hi Clare, I'm afraid I don't have any information on Remicade, but I wanted to say congrats on your surgery date. We're surgery twins! At least you have a few weeks to get this taken care of. Go to your rheumatologist and see if you can stop taking the Remicade for a few weeks..... or replace it with another medication. I am sure that weight loss will help w/the RA so hopefully that doc will work with you to make this surgery. Let me know what happens! Kathleen
Clare C.
on 1/26/07 12:34 pm - North Andover, MA
Thanks Kathleen, I e-mailed my Rheumy and his going to talk to the Surgeon. It is just a little scary because they give the worst case scenario...death.... My Rheumy believes that I can stop the Remicade and still do the surgery...I hope... Good Luck with your surgery. I was so up and excited that I was going to get a date and now it is a date with strings. Sometimes I wonder if I am making the right decision. I am just tired of being FAT. Chat soon, Clare
mzeveckas
on 1/27/07 2:42 am - pelham, NH
Clare,i'malso and on Remicade and methotrexate fro rhematoid arthritis i had the lap band october 16,2006 .My sugeon just asked me not to get the remicade to close to my surgery. My surgery went well and i had not even one sign of infection. Best of luck to you i'm sure you will be fine. Michele
Clare C.
on 1/27/07 2:45 am - North Andover, MA
Hi Michele, That makes be feel a little better but I want to have Gastric Bypass so I know that the surgery is a little more dangeous then lapband. I know that I can opt for lapband but for me and getting the weight off fast the RNY seems better for me. Thanks for writing back. Clare
mzeveckas
on 1/28/07 2:07 am - pelham, NH
Hi again Clare I had sent you a message about being on remicade. when i talked to my rheumatologist he said either surgery was ok but of course there is higher risk of infection w/ bypass. They do give you alot if antibiotics during surgery to ward off any infection. I don't know if this will make you feel better but i also has open foot surgery on a tendon while on remicade also two knee arthroscopy and never had any infections post op i was also on prednisone which made me higher risk for infection and nothing happened .oh well good luck again Michele
Clare C.
on 1/28/07 2:17 am - North Andover, MA
Hi Michele, It does make me feel better. I had knee replacement surgery 2 years ago and had no problems. I think my surgeon is being very cautious. He has never operated on a patient on Remicade. I am very hopeful that all will be fine. Clare
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views