Mass General anyone?

KatKat
on 1/24/07 10:02 pm
Hi all, My mother read this in yesterday' Globe and is now freaking out. http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2007/01/24/weis_cant_bypass_public ity/?p1=email_to_a_friend I haven't heard of his doctors... could they be non-bariatric surgeons? How do I calm down my mother? I told her I had not heard of anyone having WLS at Mass General and that maybe they weren't the best surgeons for the job... Kathleen
DDBEAR458
on 1/24/07 10:29 pm - WORCESTER, MA
i know. my mother in law was saying the same thing to my husband yesterday but i already had my surgery and all is well, THANK GOD. these are the risks involved and they do tell you that going in. it's still a personal choice. i think every situation is different. i am considered a lightweight so my risks were less. Good Luck. and there's no calming down a mom. you know that. mayby you could take her to a meeting with you so she can get a little educated
pinksnowflake
on 1/25/07 3:13 am - MA
I had my surgery at MGH and the surgeon they refer to in this article was MY surgeon too. Had I read this article before surgery, I would have been in a panic! But, I didn't, and LOVED my surgeon. He was very confident and put me at ease. MGH is a great place for this surgery and follow-up care is wonderful too....I highly recommend them and have heard fantastic things about the other bariatric surgeons here as well. There is no denying that this surgery comes with its risks and patients need to educate themselves completely before signing on board. Personally, I was willing to risk my unhappy life for the chance of a happier, healthier one.
chinamomma
on 1/29/07 1:31 am - Norton, MA
Kathleen - I had my surgery one year ago this month at MGH. I also worked there for 11 years. They do tell you about the risks of the surgery before hand, and I'm sure most surgeons who perform this surgery have experienced some complications. I was terrified of the surgery, as I am a single mom (adopted daughter so no second parent to pick up the slack if I died on the table). I talked to my surgeon about all the risks, the horror stories I'd read, etc. She talked about the one death that I'd asked about - it was related to the stapler. She showed me the instrument, how it works, and told me that when they experienced that stapler malfunction a few years ago they actually went to the manufacturer, worked with them on design and trouble shooting, etc. so that it won't happen again. While I don't know the cir****tances of this particular person's complications, I know I was quite confident that if something did not go well - that hospital, it's MDs, ICU, etc. were well prepared to get me through it. I even talked with my colleague who works on the bariatric floor to get the inside scoop. I think MGH is probably one of the best places to get the surgery. I can say without a doubt it was the best thing I could ever have done for myself! I experienced no complications, I was off pain meds in days, and losing! I have lost 106 lbs so far with another 20-30 to go. Will I make it all the way to my ideal weight - who knows. What I can say is I have more energy than I ever had (good thing since I'm adopting again as a single). I'm running (a serial killer chasing me with a knife could not have gotten me to run prior to the surgery!) I've gotten rid of my CPAP machine, all of my lab values are normal and I'm happy! I'm in a 10 - 12 pants and a medium top. I'm actually (for the first time in 10 years) considering dating! I know it's scary - I was terrified, but in my case I felt like I was dying a slow death anyway with the weight creeping up each year. If you have any questions - please feel free to email me. Good luck!! Eileen surgery date: 1/3/06 106 lbs and counting!
sistamary
on 2/27/07 5:51 am - windham, ME
Hi Eileen I am waiting to se who my Doc. will be for my surgery. Can you tell me the name of your Doctor. mary
Michelle00000032
on 1/31/07 4:10 am - Somerville, MA
I too had my surgery at MGH with Dr Hutter and could not have been happier. They do tell you that there are risks of possible complications. You have to sign papers stating that you were made aware of this and that you still opt to have the surgery if you so choose. I have 2 very young sons and never once did think about NOT having the surgery. My life is a million times better than it was before the surgery and if I did not have it they might not have had a mommy in their teen years. I am very sorry that the Mr Weiss had complications and I feel for him but I am sorry, Doctors are not God, they do what they can and unless it is proven that there was neglect, like the Dr at Mt Auburn that walked out of surgery to cash a check lol, I think that they should be left alone. I think before people pass judgement on the drs they should look at how many patients have had the surgery at MGH and done great! I am sure you will find that it sure outweighs the ones that had complications. Just my opinion mind you but if I had to do this all over again, I would choose MGh in a heartbeat. My aunt is going through the process right now and I not only recommended my Dr but MGH as well. As the poster before me stated, they are great from the beginning right through to now, I am 5 months out and down 107 pounds. Good luck with your journey, do what makes you feel comfortable but I love MGH! Michelle
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views