Boston Medical Center

BradysGirl12
on 1/24/07 1:39 am - Boston, MA
Hello All! I have been contemplating surgery for a year now and I just gained the courage to ask my PCP about the possibility. She was so kind and understanding and actually was the first one to mention the possibility of surgery. She said she refers all of her patients to the Boston Medical Center Obesity Clinic and that they are really great. But it seems like the past couple of times I have called they just want to rush me off the phone so I'm a little nervous. The first time I called, they said my doctor had to send over a referral before I could get a consult, so my doctor sent it over and I called back and this time (before saying anything about a referral) she said I needed to attend an orientation session before I can set up a consult, this was a different woman. Has everyone had these experiences? I know my insurance will cover me to go somewhere else, so if anyone has any better suggestions, I'm willing to listen. I have read some reviews for BMC and they seemed pretty decent with Dr. Hess. So any insight would be appreciated. I could use all the help you have!! Thanks so much! Meag
jrobichaud
on 1/24/07 4:25 am - Pepperell, MA
MAy I suffest Newton Wellsley http://www.newtonwellesleywls.com/content/16.htm They are the best in my book! Josh
Julie ~
on 1/24/07 8:59 am
vavouna
on 1/24/07 10:04 pm - revere, MA
I agree......the woman that called me back from NEMC was NOT very customer friendly. I felt like it was a bother to her to even be speaking with me. That's just my opinion. good luck with everything!
Cher B.
on 1/24/07 9:12 am - MA
Hi Meag, I ran into a somewhat similar situation. My PCP suggested the Brigham and when I called to set up a consult they would not even discuss it with me until I went to the info session. Their surgeons sound very good but the abrupt bature of their office was a big turn-off. Newton Wellesley scheduled me for the consult before I went to the info session so I just needed to go to it before the day of the consult. Like Joshua said they are great there! I know it isn't easy to take a path other than what your PCP presented but I think it is important to follow your instincts as well. Good Luck! ~Cher
marieh
on 1/24/07 9:25 am - So. Easton, MA
Hi Meag!! I'm going through BMC's Dr. Hess. I think he's wonderful and has a wonderful reputation. He was highly recommended by my team of docs at Quincy Medical Center. I've gotten so excited for this to start already!! I wont' be operated on until June sometime, but with Dr. Hess I KNOW I'm in the best of hands. Having faith in your doc is vital, Meag, so make sure you get that feeling before you choose your doc and your hospital, no matter who and where your choice lies. Marie
BradysGirl12
on 1/24/07 1:34 pm - Boston, MA
Thanks so much for your advice. So how long has your process been? From consultation til getting your surgery date? I am still in college and trying to make sure that I can have the surgery before I have to enter "the real world" but I do not want to deter from my school work. Also, I see your from Easton, such a small world! Good Luck and thanks again for your advice, I really appreciate it. Meag
marieh
on 1/24/07 7:28 pm - So. Easton, MA
My process is taking about six to nine months from start to surgery. Dr. Hess' office in Quincy is wonderful! I wish he'd operate there too, but he'll only do this out of Boston Medical. Either way, I've heard wonderful things about him and his bariatric nursing staff. My insurance company (Cigna) has been wonderful! (course I say that now before I know if I'm fully approved or not!) Dr. Hess' Scheduling Coordinator (Ellen) in Quincy said they've never had a patient NOT be approved. I've about 100 pounds to lose but have Diabetes, and had two heart attacks already. I don't want to repeat THAT less than fun event, so this is going to be what sets me on a healthy path! Marie
DDBEAR458
on 1/24/07 10:35 pm - WORCESTER, MA
hi meg. one more response here. i just completed my WLS January 16th. its a little scary. I went ot NWH. If the office seems to be put off when i call, then i won't go there again. NWH staff are really kind. ALL THE TIME. you never feel like a nuisance. good luck
Stellabella
on 1/25/07 1:44 am
Hi I was wondering about the information session? I dont think that BMC has an info session. Who did you speak with? Dr. Hess is great! I dont think that is the usual experience there. Stella
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 686 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2256 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4444 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4579 views