NEMC

vavouna
on 1/23/07 5:27 am - revere, MA
When I started my journey about wls...I contacted several places. I just received a call from NEMC and the lady said that I would have to pay a $500.00 non refundable educational fee that is NOT covered by insurance. I was speechless. Thank goodness I had done my research and had other ducks lined up in a row. I am currently working with St Elizabeth's hospital and so far they haven't mentioned anything like that to me....and I'm hoping that they don't. Has anyone here had to pay this money to their wls clinic? It's awful that they do this...especially for people who are trying to get healthy and not everybody (at least not me) can afford to fork up that kind of cash. She said that if your not approved by surgery you lose the money!!! What's your take on this?
jereyes
on 1/23/07 5:39 am - Tyngsboro, MA
I know Newton wellesley Hospital and Mass Genral Hopsital have the same type of fees. I think MGH is $1000.00 and NWH is $500.00 I went to Lawrence Memorial Hospital where they do not have any extra fees. I would ask St. Elizabeth's if they charge any extra fees before going through the process.
JKap
on 1/23/07 6:33 am - Newton, MA
Beth Israel also had a $500 fee...
DDBEAR458
on 1/23/07 8:29 am - WORCESTER, MA
i started at UMASS MEMORIAL in worcester and it's 800.00. i went thru NWH and it's 550.00.
honeymoo
on 1/23/07 8:42 am - on The Rock 30 miles out to Sea, MA
Newton Welllesley if I remember correctly it's to cover the nutrionist and pshycologist. Like Deidre said it's $550 but you are told about it when you make your appointment and can be paid in installments but must be paid in full by your surgery date. Good Luck Gwen
Cher B.
on 1/23/07 9:06 am - MA
The NWH fee is refunded if you do not get approved and all but $100 is refunded if you choose not to go forward with surgery. The fee at the Brigham is $1500 but I do not know what their refund policy is. The $500 fee is probably worth it if it includes the consults with the dietitian and psych person. Some places do not include the required consults. If St E's does not have a fee then I would definitely ask about whether or not they include these other visits. Hope that info helps.
jeano3
on 1/23/07 9:13 am - Halifax, MA
The fee at Brigham and women is $500.00 and refunded if you get denied...Also they will work with you and you can pay installments.
Philly
on 1/23/07 11:14 pm - MA
Yes I paid it, and yes its alot of money, but it goes to pay for things not coverd by insurance, and yes NEMC will let you pay over time, you just need to ask, and if you are not approved for WLS, its refunded to you Phil
Cher B.
on 1/24/07 9:14 am - MA
Guess I stand corrected on the Brigham fee. DOn't know if I somehow misunderstood what they told me or they lowered it? Glad they refund it if you are not approved. Thanks for clarifying.
Jeana W.
on 1/24/07 8:33 am - Cambridge, MA
Mass General's fee is $925 to cover the cost of post-op appointments that insurance doesn't cover. No insurance covers these appoinments which I don't get - all hospitals require these appointments, why doesnt insurance cover them? One of life's mysteries, I guess. Hope this helps. Jeana
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 686 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2256 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4444 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4579 views