What is a typical day just after WLS

Clare C.
on 1/14/07 8:38 am - North Andover, MA
Hi All, I am getting a little nervous about what to expect on the first few days home from WLS. I hope to have my RNY in middle of February and I am trying to get prepared for it now with trying different protein drinks. Can you please tell me what a typical day was like for you at the beginning. What protein drinks to you like? I know that you can have yogurt and whipped cottage cheese but I know you need more protein then that. I like yogurt and cottage cheese not to happy with protein drinks. Thank you! Clare
DDBEAR458
on 1/14/07 9:16 pm - WORCESTER, MA
hi Clare, i am having my surgery tomorrow so i can let you know then. anyway, i'm not the type of person to "stock up" on groceries or anything. i just go a day at at time. so i have never tried a protein shake. however, i heard that taste buds change so much in some people that what you like today, you might not like after surgery. i have made a list however for my husband for when i get home. simple stuff like, siurgarfree popsicles and fudgesicles (if i don't like them, i'm SURE the kids will), sugar free puddings, yogurts, tea, and some ricotta cheese (i love that now, hope i love it later because it's a great source of protein). you can warm it up with tomato sauce or eat cold with equal and vanila extract (canolli). i also have a magic bullet. do you have one? i was going to use this for my 'protein' stuff. like using carnation instant breakfast, milk, van extract and ice cubes. or vanialla protein powder mixed in the blender with a banana and equal and ice. i'm sure you can come up with some tasty stuff for yourself. oh and instant mashed potatoes are ok too!
Clare C.
on 1/14/07 9:53 pm - North Andover, MA
Hi Deirde, Good Luck tomorrow on your surgery. I will be thinking of you. Please keep me posted when you are able to chat on line again. OH boards help and have a lot of support. Being able to read everyone elses stories has helped with wanted to WLS. I can't wait to have mine. Thanks for giving me more ideas as well. Clare
jereyes
on 1/14/07 9:52 pm - Tyngsboro, MA
I bought two different kinds of protein shakes Carnation Instant Breakfast and Glucerna. I couldn't stand either one. I used to mix with milk and then blend with ice to make a shake. I could only stomach a small amount. I might have gotten in 8 ounces a day. I had open RNY with a heria repair so I slept a lot when I came home for the first5-7 days. It was very difficult to get protein in and water. I just did the best I could. SF pop. , fudg., jello broth, yogurt and cottage cheese are good to have in the house. I wouildn't stock up on to much due to you will be eating very little in the begining. Try to get up and walk around as much as you can. I used to walk around the mall since I had surgery in November and it was cold. I would also walk outside each morning for about 5 minutes. Good luck on your up coming surgery.
Clare C.
on 1/14/07 9:58 pm - North Andover, MA
I know your taste buds change after the surgery, so what I like or can tolerate now may change after. I like Chocolate Glucerna and have been drinking that for a couple of years on and off. Doctor recommended Glucerna to diet for diabetes. My NUT told me that Glucerna is ok but have to be careful because it is a calorie drink. Thanks for writing to my post it helps. How are you feeling now since your surgery in November? Clare
cshapleigh
on 1/17/07 4:37 am
Hi Clare, My surgery was January 8th and the first day after surgery you're sipping water andk pretty groggy. As as far a protein drinks go, I'm ok with carnation but am experimenting with some products from smartforme.com that will hopefullly give me some variety. I am not allowed yogurt or cottage cheese yet, they have us wait 3 weeks after we see the nut. I also went to GNC and go their protein powder and put it in crystal lite. Not too bad, it wasn't gritty, just cloudy iced tea! Have sugar free popsicles on hand too, they are a nice change and you can "chew" them. I even freeze the carnation drink for a while since before wls, I was an ice cream nut! Good luck with your surgery. For me, the anticipation was worse than the actual surgery and following days. I feel pretty good and I hope the same for you. God Bless, Carol
Clare C.
on 1/17/07 5:23 am - North Andover, MA
Hi Carol, I am glad you are doing well with your surgery and congratulations. Thanks for letting me know how you are doing and also what you are doing. I see the surgeon on the 25th and I should get my date then. I can't wait till I can blog, I am home from surgery. Please keep me posted on your progress. Clare
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views