2nd thoughts

fooseberry
on 1/13/07 11:39 am - E Falmouth, MA
I have completed most of what my surgeon requires- I am currently completing the 4 weekly education classes and I have my medical clearance appointment on Thursday. I have been consistently loosing weight and now I am getting scared and having second thoughts. I have been thinking about all the things I can't do and the possible side effects.Can anyone relate?? Any comments to help build my confidence back up would help. I keep thinking what my friends are telling me- If you are doing so good loosing now why have the surgery? But lately I have been off track a little and hungry and that always throws me off. I can't think straight when hungry. Also slipped and ate Ring Dings today and am dealing with a pretty heavy guilt load because of this. Please give me your thoughts Jennifer
marieh
on 1/13/07 12:11 pm - So. Easton, MA
I see my nutritionist for my 1st appt and new program next Friday. I'm sure I"ll be wondering the same things you are. But ANY diets or diet plus exercise programs I've ever done have not lasted for me. I guess that's one reason why I'm going through with this. I don't want to risk another heart attack or a stroke, so for me, it's a go. You will be fine! We all have fears and the important thing is not to let them overtake you! Have faith in yourself! The ring ding was one incident...put it in your past and start fresh and back on track NOW! Marie (and please feel free to remind me of this when it's MY turn!!)
jereyes
on 1/13/07 9:37 pm - Tyngsboro, MA
I personally has second thoughts while going through the whole process. Once I got the call from the surgeon's office I had a whole lot of different emotions of excitement, nevous and fear and a lot more than I can explain. I ended up having the open RNY and I am the happiest I have been in years. I am much healthier and I can do so much more that I can anjoy my life and do much more with my children and family. I would do it all over again without any regret. Keep in mind how many times have you lost weight then gained it back plus more. That is usually why we resort to looking into having surgery. Surgery gives us a chance to have a higher success rate in losing weight and keeping it off. This is a personal decision that only you can make for yourself. Try not to have your friends impact your decision you are the one that has to live with your decision not them. Best of luck and do some sole searching to decide if surgery is the way to go for youself. Weigh out the pros and cons.
~ Stylz ~
on 1/14/07 7:08 am - North of Boston, MA
hi Jennifer, second thoughts are normal, its ok to be nervous about surgery or doing the right thing, but sit back and re-read your post.. You're losing weight and people are saying.. you're losing, maybe you should do this on your own, but then... you slipped and ate ring dings. everyone knows (pre or post op) ring dings turn into more ring dings, then a box of ring dings, twinkies, chips, popcorn, nachos, second helpings of food, etc etc etc etc and then where are you... back at square one but now having to wait longer for surgery. Being 10 months out, I can tell you I've met atleast 6 people at support groups who had second thoughts about surgery, lost on their own, regained and had to restart testing, meetings and insurance approval because they waited too long to come back. The only regret they had at that point was not going through with it when they originally started... Years ago I lost 60lbs in 9 months, it took me 3 years to regain the 60lbs, but I did... of course this is something you have to be 100% sure you want to do. its a life altering decision so don't do it until you're ready. I can tell you since being post-op, I've never had 1 regret of having it done. In 10 months I've lost 112lbs, something I've never accomplished in my life and wouldn't have accomplished without having surgery! good luck with your decision, we're all here for you!
(deactivated member)
on 1/14/07 3:00 pm
Jen, I had surgery with Dr. Krueger 11/2/05. I was on the OH website a lot before surgery and a little after, have to admit that I have not been on the website in a long time. Saying all that I remember feeling what you are feeling. I am a cardiac nurse and was able to see first hand what the ravages of being overweight does to a person'e body over time. That a long with the thoughts that at 35 I wouldn't live to see my three sons have children of their own helped me make my decision. Dr. Krueger's program is by far the best in the state. I did attend the post op support meetings in the beginning, as well as went and spoke to pre-op's after I had my surgery. I live on the Cape in Dennis and it is a far drive for me to get there all the time, but I find it usually helps me get back on track. Back to your original question. Remember that you are not perfect and that even though you are using all your will power and trying your best you are only human. Do your best each day and if you slip up then try to get back on track and wake up the next morning with a renewed sense of why you are choosing to do this. After surgery you will not have to rely on your will power so much. The second thoughts before surgery are perfectly normal. At the very end of the day you have to be comfortable with the decision you have made, that it is what is best for you and also with the doctor that you have chosen. I can tell you as a nurse who has other nurse friends that have also had surgery with Dr. Krueger and worked for him, he is an excellent skilled surgeon. Very capable of handling an issues that should arise. I am sure that you know from researching doctors that do WLS in Massachusetts, Dr. Krueger's numbers are the best. I went in to Boston and checked out many of the other MD's and I was most impressed with Dr. Krueger. He is a typical surgeon in that he answers your questions with his back to you as he is walking out the door, but if you stop him, be forceful if you have to he will answer all your questions. Michelle is a great resource as well. Anyway, sorry to go on and on, but even though I am not on this website often, I can remember the frequency that I was before surgery and I hope that my reply helps a little. Feel free to email me if you have any other questions or just want to talk. Good Luck, you'll do great!!! Lisa P.S. I was 296 at my highest and am 165 today. It does work!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views