nutritionist

vavouna
on 1/5/07 12:58 am - revere, MA
Okay.....due to my bmi being a little under 40. I have to see a nutritionist first on Monday to see if I will be a good candidate. I need some help and info and what I need to say to convince them that I will be an excellent candidate. My appointment is with Deirdre from Doctor Pecquex's office. Please help me out!
MOJI
on 1/5/07 3:59 am - worcester, MA
Just be youe self they will know if you are a good candidate...Just by being over 100 pounds over weight...
Lesliee59
on 1/5/07 9:12 am - Needham, MA
Marie, I have never heard of a nutritionist making the decision about whether or not you are a candidate for surgery. In all (most) of the WLS programs, whether you have a low BMI, or a high BMI, you have to meet with a nutrionist a few times pre and post surgery. I went to NEMC and it was up to the psychologist and the medical doctors as to whether I was a candidate for surgery. My BMI was under 40 also. Let us know how you make out. Leslie
vavouna
on 1/6/07 1:43 pm - revere, MA
Thank you Leslie. Did they do your surgery being under 40? Did you have other ailments? I will let you know what happens on Monday after I see her. I hope all goes well and she says that I could see the doctor.
Lesliee59
on 1/7/07 12:04 am - Needham, MA
Hi Marie, When you have a lower MBI 35-39, it is up to the insurance company as whether or not they will cover the surgery. I am sure the doctor's office will approve you with a BMI of 39. It's getting the surgery covered by insurance that is the big problem with insurance companies. My insurance BCBS/Mass covered my surgery. My bmi was around 38ish. I have high cholesterol (which some say doesn't matter) and my sleep apnea test came back positive. What insurance company do you have? What hospital are you going to? Leslie
vavouna
on 1/7/07 10:24 pm - revere, MA
Thank you Leslie. I am going to St Elizabeth's in Brighton at 2 p.m today to meet with the nutritionist. I have Tufts Health Plan. What do you have? So they approved your surgery! That's awesome!!!!!!!! Did you know that you had sleep apnea? I hope they can test me for it too. I have high cholesterol and joint pains. Maybe they will approve it based on that. When are you having your surgery? Good luck to you!!!!!!
Stellabella
on 1/7/07 11:45 pm
Hi Deirdre, the dietitian there is very very nice. Basically what they look for are the patterns of eating (grazer, picker, portion eater?) and how that will change after surgery, what diets you were on, which you were most successful at and maybe why (structured, unstructured and how that may relate to your post op diet) ability to exercise, food intolerances, how you learned about the surgery, support systems at home after surgery and why you are having the surgery (most look for "healthy" as the answer). Typically they then go over the diet for post op and if there is one for pre op, for that as well. Not to worry, usually they are quite supportive.
vavouna
on 1/8/07 7:18 am - revere, MA
Yes...she is VERY VERY nice!!! I liked her. She said that I am a candidate and I have to go back next month to meet with the psych and nurse. When did you have your surgery? Did you have the lapband? How do you feel with it.....will I really lose weight with the band? Is it up to me as to what kind of surgery I want or will they decide? I told her that I wanted the lap. One last thing....how long was your process from start to surgery? I'm so sorry for all these questions!
Lesliee59
on 1/8/07 12:07 am - Needham, MA
HI Marie, I think you are worrying too much. You should be approved. I didn't know I had sleep apnea, I had to have the required test. The program I go to requires a sleep study. I had surgery in April. I had a lapband put in. I came on to see what happened at your appointment today. Post and let me know. Leslie
vavouna
on 1/8/07 7:14 am - revere, MA
Hi Leslie...how are you doing today? I hope you are well. My appointment went very well. I met with the nutritionist and she weighed me and sat down and talked about my eating habits. She explained the program a bit and asked me about my health. My bmi is 38 and because I have high cholesterol and joint pains....she says she doesn't see a problem. She said she doesn't want to say it's certain....but it looks good. I was sooooo happy! I have to meet with the nurse and psych on the 27th of February (they will try to get me in before if there is a cancellation) and then I go back to see the nutritionist on the 22nd. She wants me to lose 5% of my weight before I am approved or they can't do the surgery. I will start tomorrow and watch what I eat. How are you doing with your lapband? When did you have your surgery? Oh Leslie....I can't wait to get this weight off me....it's constantly on my mind when I wake up...it pops up throughout the day...and it's the last thing on my mind when I sleep! Driving home felt so good to know that I wasn't turned away....I just can't imagine how I will feel when and if I get approved. That will be such a gift to me. I will keep you posted and please keep me posted on how you are doing. I am so very happy and greatful to this site and all the help that I"ve gotten. I think I'm getting addicted to this great place and you nice folks!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 686 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2256 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4444 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4579 views