Umass weight center

coffeeboffee
on 1/3/07 7:58 am
Hello I have my first intake appt. at UMAss weight center w/Dr. Gitkin next week. Can anyone tell me exactly what this involves? EX: weight, blood pressure, temp.? The typical physical stuff. Also, as the process continues do you get weighed each time? Do you wear clothes while weighed or a johnny? Things like that. I am starting to get very nervous and want to be informed and prepared. Thanks for the help!!!
Brenda T.
on 1/3/07 8:57 pm - MA
I went through the weight center and yes you get weighed every time in your cloths, I always took off my shoes, (except for the first time because then when you go back the 2nd time you take of your shoes and poof 2 pounds gone...) Any Dr Gitkin is ok, hes very matter of fact, no hand holding will be going on during this appointment. He will do a phyical and talk with you see what you want from sugery that kind of thing... He will make the decision if you will be excepted into the program,,, that you meet the requirment, BMI and such... Dont be worried you will be fine... He will ask you what you expect out of the surgery and want a answer that is more about health than beauty... you know the drill. From Dr Gitkin you will have to go to 4 meetings about different things, see the phyc person and the nut(both more than once) you will have to take exercise classes if Dr Gitkin thinks you are fit enough (if he doesnt you will do them after surgery). Its a long process and It took me about 9 months to complete and I didnt have any slow downs.. so hang in there
sbard
on 1/4/07 2:03 am - west brookfield, MA
Kathy, The first appt is important but pretty much what you would expect- questions/physical more questions and answers. I agree, Dr. Gitkind, is very matter of fact! No sugar coated answers. This is one of the things that impresses me about the UMASS program- no one lets on that this is going to be easy. So be prepared to hear both good and bad throughout the program. I started my quest last March and due to some major insurance issues(3 denials), I am still fighting but moving forward with the help of the Weight Center. Stay focused and don't fret, you have made the right choice in choosing this program! PS: I left my shoes on the first weigh in too. Good Luck, Sue
cshapleigh
on 1/4/07 6:07 am
Hi Kathy, I think he's very straight forward and that's exactly what you want because you are making a big decisiion. He's a good person, not intimidating or anything like that but will tell it like it is. At one point they lost my file and he was very proactive about getting things back on track for me. Good guy. You'll do great.
coffeeboffee
on 1/4/07 8:37 am
Thank you Brenda, Suxanne and Carol for the response, What does the physical involve? I had my first info session in September and now intake in January. I'm hoping for surgery in the summer. Thanks Kathy
llibby
on 1/5/07 7:19 am - Shrewsbury, MA
Kathy, I went through the UMASS program too. I had a positive experience, it takes 6-9 months to go through the entire program but my advice is to get your appointments made ASAP. There is a cap on the # of people in the group behavior classes and they fill up fast, they are 1x/wk offered in the daytime and evening. If you can be flexible than you will have no problems getting your appointments. I attended the information sessions in May 05, did my psych and nut appointments and exercise classes by the end of July, behavior classes in August 05 and I had surgery in December 05. Good Luck! Lisa
coffeeboffee
on 1/5/07 7:36 am
Thanks Lisa I keep hearing about the "nut". What or who is that? Can you tell me what is involved with the physical? Thank you for your input Kathy
llibby
on 1/5/07 10:56 am - Shrewsbury, MA
The "nut" is the nutritionist, mine was Jenny and she is fabulous. Dr. Gitkin does a basic physical :vital signs, weight, height, he does a physical assessment of your well being. He asks about medical history, co-morbidities like high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes, joint pain etc... He is very nice. This physical and interview does not take very long. It is the medical sign off you need to continue the program, to get into the exercise portion and to sign up for the other programs. Best of luck to you. Lisa
sassyserena
on 5/14/07 3:01 am - Southbridge, MA
when is your surgery? I should be getting mine soon with dr. czurniak. i am waiting for insurance approval. serena
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 686 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2256 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4444 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4579 views