15 Day Post Op

txbunny930
on 12/27/06 1:07 pm - MA
Today makes 15 days since surgery and I'm surprised as to how well I'm doing with food and that the weight is already dropping. So far I've lost 17 lbs and I think that's amazing. I've only found 1 protein drink I can tolerate and I'm going to have to keep trying so I can get in all the protein that is required. I guess it all comes in time the further out I become. I did pop my incision last week and the healing has been a little on the slow side. So much for me only being out of work for 3 weeks. Looks like I'll be taking the full 6 weeks off. Maybe this is a good thing. One thing for sure, I have an amazing support team of friends that have been there for me and have checked up on me almost daily. What a blessing they are. I'm so glad I've been blessed to be able to have this surgery. Not one regret in doing this. Not that I thought I would. Hugs, Bunny
RITA32
on 12/27/06 11:42 pm - Stoneham, MA
And remember the few days are the hardest and that's behind you now. Nothing but WOW moments from now on!!!!! Glad to hear you're doing well and yes take all the time you can...It really does help to pamper yourself..... Talk to you later
Peg G.
on 12/28/06 2:25 am - Methuen, MA
Bravo Lorraine I am a month out today. I was sorry to hear about you popping your incision. Did you have open or Lap? I had open and have also popped my incision. It all started with terrible draining that just started to let up this week. I've got this 7" incision that is quite gruesome to look at. Only the top 3" healed correctly out of the 10". No one seems to be alrmed by it. Dr. Randall saw it first, then a week later Dr. Ferguson looked at it and said to continue what I have been doing. Then just before Xmas, Dr. Nadai took a look, and said it didn't concern him either.They said that the fluid HAS to come out, so I should take showers and scrub he incision with a washcloth and soapy water. Ouch! I go to see my PCP tomorrow to see what he has to say about it, as it seems to have widened slightly and I can see some stitching inside. As far as drinking and eating go, I'm having a tough time getting it all in also. Especially my water. I've learned that my pouch is not very fond of cold water, so I drink it at room temp. However each time I take my sips, it makes me nauseaus. I'll keep plugging away. I have not as yet, but i get full pretty quick when I eat. So I stop. That's where I am having a hard time getting enough in. Tried the Protein powder shakes.....not very good. And I know how important it is for healing. I seem to be getting very discouraged because I feel I am going in the wrong direction. I would really be interested in knowing how you are handling the incision and fulfilling your requirements. You sound wonderful and your weightloss is great! Keep up the good work! Peg
txbunny930
on 12/28/06 3:55 am - MA
Hi Peg: Wow, I thought I was the only one with an incision that opened and thought I did something horrible to have this happen. Mine is very small but it's still painful. I'll take the second wick out on Saturday. Everything looked good yesterday and it will take time for the area to finally close and heal. Because the incision area is being kept clean and the inside stitches are holding, the outer area will take some time to heal. Are you having to cover it after you shower? I know that you cannot have it scab over and that the time it takes to close will be a little bit. Dr. Randall has seen this all before and if he's telling you it's all ok, then it is. If you have any doubt or questions regarding it, call him. He'd much rather us get the info from him as to how we need to move forward. Eating, well I'm lucky if I can get 1/2 a cup of anything in. I did eat a piece of chicken breast on Monday and chewed it a bunch, well apparently it wasn't moist enough for my pouch and up it came. Took 2 hours and boy did my pouch tell me how mad it was. Beyond that I'm concentrating on getting what I can in and as much fluids as I can. There is no way we are expected to get everything in at this point but making sure we are eating and drinking are what's important. So don't be discouraged by the set backs you and I both are having. They really are minor in the big picture of it all. Just make protein your priority and go from there. As I'm not doing the shakes, I am drinking Cappacino protein by Nectar which is excellent. They have a number of flavors without that after takes. Feel free to PM me any time. Good luck with everything. Are you going to the next support group meeting? I'll be there. Hugs, Lorraine
Peg G.
on 12/28/06 10:41 am - Methuen, MA
Thanks for the encouraging words Lorraine. I hope I am just worrying for nothing. I don't see Dr. Randall until the 11th, so maybe I will give him a call to ease my mind. I also think I am going to try and make it to the next support meeting. I really don't care for the program that I have at Mass General. There's a lot of knowledge meetings, but no real support groups. Are you allowed to bring someone with you? Where do you get your Nectar? I think I might want to give it a try. Well, day by day things will start to turn around. Thnaks again! Peg
txbunny930
on 12/28/06 10:27 pm - MA
Dr. Randall has his support group at Lawrence Memorial Hospital, Nursing building on January 18th. He divides the room for pre op and post op and then has us all together towards the end. There is a ton of support as well as information we all need. As for the Nectar. You can order it on line as there is an area on the left for it's link on OH. I'll be driving to Nashua Nutri in Nashua, NH in the next few weeks to get a variety. Wild Cherry tastes like liquid jello. Peg, you will look back on this a year from now and know that it's all been worth it. This is just a bump and it does happen. Stay well and Happy New Year to you. Lorraine
Peg G.
on 12/29/06 5:26 am - Methuen, MA
Hi Lorraine, Thanks for the info. I went for my PCP visit. He said the wound needs to be packed and have wicks inserted. He said it will take at least 2 months to fully heal. He is sending me to the local hospital, (Holy Family). They have a special Wound Clinic there. He said they will look after it closely and tend to it. Said that we were doing a great job keeping it clean etc., but it just needs some professional care now. It will be much easier for me. Going to MGH, I know I won't get to see Dr. Randall that often. So this is the next best thing. Well, thanks for the support. It has really made a difference in the way I am looking at things. It's all good! Good luck and keep sipping! Hope to see you at the meeting! Peg
jereyes
on 12/28/06 3:17 am - Tyngsboro, MA
Congratulations on your recent surgery and weight loss! Sorry to hear about your incision opening up. Since you are taking more time off from work than expected try to have some fun and it gives you more time to get used to your new eating patterns. I know it helped me to take the full six weeks off from work. As time goes on it will get easier to get all your protein and fluids in. I am a little more than a year out and I am amazed by how much I can eat some days then other days I don't want to eat much. Good Luck and welcome to the other side.
KatKat
on 12/28/06 9:34 am
Hi Bunny, Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress. Reading others' stories is so helpful. I'm sorry about the incision popping (ouch!) but it sounds like you're doing well. Continue to keep us posted! Kathleen
coffeegirl
on 12/28/06 10:20 pm - somewhere, MA
Congratulations to both of you!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing, I am scheduled for Lap RNY at MGH on 2/2 (Dr. Pratt). I also feel that the groups at MGH are more for info regarding the surgery than support after the procedure. So if you ladies would not mind sharing some support group info, I am all ears. I am in Billerica. Again congrats and hang in there everyone says it gets easier and better!!! Linda
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views