help

vavouna
on 12/27/06 11:37 pm - revere, MA
Hi everyone. I am so glad that I found this web site. I live in Revere Ma. I am looking to have the lapband procedure done. I am five feet 0 inches and weigh 185.00. I sent an email to Brigham and Women's with my stats and they just emailed me back saying that under their guidelines, I am not quailified for this surgery. They say that my bmi is 35.6. According to other sites...my bmi is 36 which does make me qualify. I have high cholesterol and am always tired. The excess weight is too much for my small frame. I have tried NUMEROUS approaces to losing weight but have been unsuccesful. I was really looking forward to having this procedure done. Can anyone point me to a surgeon that would help me? Please feel free to email me at [email protected] with any information. Have a happy and healthy new year to you all!
Brenda T.
on 12/28/06 12:40 am - MA
I think it is more important what your insurance thinks. What are there guidelines for haveing a lap band.. Everyone one is differenent and the first step should aways be to find out. Give your insurance a call and ask them... Umass in Worcester has a very good program. You can call and ask for the wieght center and start from there... The program does take between 6 and 12 months before you would be having surgery.
jereyes
on 12/28/06 3:11 am - Tyngsboro, MA
I agree that I would check with your insurance plan requires to qualify for lap band. I had RNY with Dr. Randall at Lawrence Memorial Hospital in Medford. He also does the lap band as well. I have spoken to some of his patients who had the lap band procedure. He is a wonderful surgeon and he will do his best to have you meet your insurance guidlines. Good Luck!
debro28
on 12/28/06 3:31 am - Chelsea, MA
Hi Marie, I went thru B&W hosp. I did weight 20lbs more than you. why dont you go to one of the meetings they hold monthly for the patients who are thinking of having the surgery, at the meetings one of the dr's is present, dietitian & a person that deals w/ the insurance approval. they go thru every surgery and after the meeting its done you can speak w/ them and asked them if you are good for the surgery and u get to speak with the dr. b/c they're there to answer ur ?'s....my friend went w/ me to the meeting and she exactly ur weight but 2 inches taller and she was ok for the lap, I had gastric bpass. your insurance has a lot of the final say also. good luck to you hope everything works out and keep on trying do not give up. my surgeon was dr.mun...my sister in law went thru it last wk but she went thru beth israel hosp. I dont know the name of her surgeon. Deb
Angela M.
on 12/28/06 11:24 am - Worcester, MA
There is a women in my program who weighs 175 but she is very short and she barely qualifies but they are still accepting her because of other health issues, if your BMI is between 35-40 if you have any co-morbitities(sp) then you should qualify, but check with your insurance. I go through Fallon Clinic in worcester but UMASS is just as great. Just check with your insurance company and then do some research. The only issue I forsee if you do qualify is that most programs make you lose 5-10% of your weight before they do the surgery and that may put you below guidelines unless they use your starting weight for insurance approval. Dont give up!!
skinnycat
on 12/28/06 10:32 pm - Peabody, MA
Hi Marie, I had mine done at the Lahey Clinic in Burlington. That is better than going into Boston. The surgeon I had was Dr. Dimitri Nipomnishay. The phone number is 781-744-3044. But I would check out with your insurance first to get approval. If you need to talk to me, since we live so close, my email is [email protected]. Good luck Donna
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views