5 days post op

jenawallace
on 12/25/06 12:35 am - Pittsfield, MA
I am in no mood to eat ( drink ) anything. Is it normal to have no interest in anything? I am not getting even half of my protein or other nutrients. Is it ok to not be consuming enough? Everything looks, smells, and tastes absolutely gross and I want no part of it.
Jeanette P.
on 12/25/06 10:33 am - Hyannis, MA
Hi Jena, I haven't had my surgery yet, I'm waiting on the insurance approval (hopefully). But anyways, I've heard a lot of stories about what you're going through. It seems to be pretty common. Hopefully it passes soon for you. Happy Holidays!! Jeanette
jereyes
on 12/26/06 12:45 am - Tyngsboro, MA
Im went through this shortly after surgery. I was lucky if I got 4-6 ounces of liquid protein in early on. I could hardly drink any fluids. I tried to have SF jello and pops. Nothing tasted good because I was given antibiotics in the hospital and for a few days at home. I ended up having yeast on my tongue that make everything bad. I also ended up with a kidney stone which I would even get befor surgery. I could not pass it because I was not drinking enough and I also became dyhydrated. With all this I was admitted back into the hospital for two nights two weeks after surgery. My reccommendation would be to try to take frequent sips through out the day. You need your protein for your body to heal and you need your water to stay hydrated. Things will get better. I had my surgery over a year ago and I would do it again. Best of luck.
Bariatric Bella
on 12/26/06 12:51 am - Dayton, OH
RNY on 11/02/05 with
Hey Jena I am a year out and yes it is normal. But you have to try or your body might do things like lose its hair. It will get better trust me. There where many nights I curled up on my husband and said I drank to here today and he would reply with if you want me to say it is ok for you to stop I wont you havent gotten the protein in. He was a hard ball on me but it was also what I needed to get my act together. Also it is normal to feel depression soon as well. All the nerve endings have been cut so the body is in a bit of shock and the muscles are all inflammed and stiff from being cut and altered. But it will get better everyday is different and you will get tired of all things entering your mouth but it was worth the surgery no matter if it was a bad day or the best day. For your protein try this, take your protein and put one scoop for 4 onces of water. It is thick but it is easier to drink the thick pudding and get your 20-30 grams in 30 minutes than it is to drink the huge volume of liquid the directions say. There where many days I have to remind myself my protein is my medicine/suppliment now. Believe me I still have to remind myself even now of my daily intakes and what am I eating or not eating. I think the worst habit I have gotten is not taking in enough protein supplements. Which I have had two bouts of hair lose. it is only temporary but it is still a great lesson. Actually as I am writting this to you it is reminding me of just how much I have missed talking to others about our lifestyle and the emotional support it is to just talk about our everyday lives. Amy
Claudined
on 12/26/06 2:48 am - Malden, MA
The same thing happened to me after surgery. I had no interest in food. You do have to be getting in enough protein though, that is very important. Get creative with your food choices, try different cheeses, the string cheese was good for me. Getting in the right amount of nutrients is not optional. The loss of appetite passes, and then it comes back with different foods. I had no apetite for bread for the first 6 months. Good luck!
Peridot
on 12/26/06 9:13 pm - Somerville, MA
Claudine, I look at your picture and it doesn't look like you. It looks like someone you're related to! Peridot
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views