UMass Weight Center

esruc04
on 12/20/06 3:04 am - MA
Hi everyone, This is my first post. I'm just starting the process for WLS and was wondering if anyone has gone throught the UMASS surgical program and which doctor performed the surgery? I'm contemplating the banding, not RNY. But I guess that decision will be made once I have my intake appt. with center. Anything anyone can share would be much appreciated! Kathy
DDBEAR458
on 12/20/06 5:07 am - WORCESTER, MA
hi Kathy. I started with UMASS in the beginning when I was contemplating surgery. I also looked into Springfield Mercy Hospital. One day I ran into an old friend who had the RYN at Newton Wellesly and she looked awsome!!! of course like you i researched like crazy and i work with a woman who had it done at UMASS. (she's getting big again). after talking with several people who had had the surgery at different hospitals, i decided to go with NWH. with UMASS your lucky if you even meet with a surgeon in a year. that's how long it takes. it's pretty grueling . don't get me wrong, grueling is good but this program is just fine with me. all together its been about 5 months from start to finish. i started in September by going to the seminars and meetings and meeting w/everyone, doc. dietician, physc and my surgery is January 16th. my doc doesn't belive in the lap band. he did explain it to me but i have a hard time relaying it. other's may think he's a quack, but that's okay because he's been a surgeon for 25 years and i trust him 100%. i'm sure he reads up on his medical journals and all that stuff but be careful of who you tell. people are very judgemental. good luck and keep us posted
esruc04
on 12/20/06 10:38 am - MA
Hi Deirdre, Thanks for the info. I have seen others on this forum say the UMASS program is grueling. I'm hoping that my last 4+ years seeing a behavior therapist there MAY speed the process up. I felt like the counseling wasn't doing me much good until the last 6 months or so where it all seems to be coming together a little. I guess the best thing it taught me is how to listen to what I'm thinking. It's amazing how much you can ignore what is actually going through your mind! I'm finally in a place where I feel like WLS is a tool to get me there faster and stay there rather than my only way out. I've heard so many varying opinions about Band vs. RNY - and I'm just fearful of the permanent factor - but I haven't talked it through with anyone yet. You are absolutely right though - you need to trust your doctor 100% no matter what. And thanks for the heads up on telling people. I already know not to mention it to my mom until just before surgery assuming a negative reaction. That's the last thing that any of us doing this needs, right?! Appreciate all the input!
Brenda T.
on 12/20/06 10:13 pm - MA
Hi, I went through the program at Umass.. It is grueling, but it is also very good. Think of it this way... You can see a hairdresser thats pretty good this afternoon, or you have to wait a week to get the best,, your choice.. I went with the best.... I took me 9 months start to finish and that was with no delays, some people dont go as fast because they have to think that your ready.... Please feel free to ask me anything about the process and I will be glad to help
dgunnard
on 12/27/06 5:51 am - Spencer, MA
I had my surgery on October 5th and I started the program in Febuary. The program was great and I did not find it grueling. I had doctor Perugini and he was wonderful. I had RNY and I do not regret it. I originally was going to go for the banding, but after going through the program and learning about both, I decided to go with RNY. They do not push you one way or the other unless it involves medical necessity. Good Luck and feel free to ask anything!!
esruc04
on 12/28/06 3:36 am - MA
Hi Debbie - Thanks for the info. I'm going to an orientation meeting for their surgical track tonight, so any info I get is very helpful. Will let you know if I end up with more questions (which I'm sure I will). Happy New Year!
emme819
on 1/1/07 12:25 pm - Worcester, MA
Hi - I had an RNY almost 2 years ago now at UMass. The program does take some time, and it can be incredibly frustrating while you're going through it, but in hindsight I think it's really good that it takes so long. I think the program has changed since I went through it, but seeing a therapist on your own did not speed the process up when I was going through it. The purpose of seeing psychology prior to surgery is to make sure you are a good candidate emotionally for the surgery, and that you have reasonable expectations and can stick to the program. While I haven't updated my OH profile in some time, I will tell you that my experience with the surgery was extremely a-typical. I lost 60lbs in 10 weeks and then stopped dead. Every pound I lost past that was harder than it was prior to the surgery. Having had this experience, I have to say that everyone at UMass was extremely supportive of me and my weird experience. I was so frustrated by my results. I was eating great, exercising, doing everything "right" and yet I wasn't losing. I bugged the nutritionist, the exercise physiologist, the nurse practitioner and the bariatrician about this on a weekly basis and they were all supportive and as helpful as they could be. Even my surgeon has no clue why I didn't lose. But I wouldn't trade any one of the people in the program now. They have been just wonderful to to me. Unfortunately, because of the difficulty I had, I ended up getting depressed and went off track in March and gained about 10lbs back. That I gained only 10lbs is a miracle. I ate like crap, haven't been to the gym in months and was eating far too many calories. I saw Dr. Gitkind, the bariatrician,in November and he was so kind about helping me get back on track. I went to see nutrition and exercise again, and got back into therapy on my own and am happy to say I am back on track and feeling great. Different programs work for different people, just as the band works for some and the bypass for others. It's all very individual. Knowing what I do now, I wouldn't trade the UMass program for anything. These people have been with me from the beginning and I still feel their support every day. Of course, in the beginning I thought I'd be the perfect patient and all the weight would drop off and I'd be free and clear and never see these people again. HA! My only recommendation is to find a program that feels comfortable and supportive for YOU. UMass doesn't work for everyone, but neither does NEMC or NWH or any other program. You need to get the best fit for yourself, with both the program and the surgery you choose. Please feel free to email me if you want any more info, and good luck. Mary Ellen
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views