Alcohol post lap band surgery

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/06 9:15 am - Stoughton, MA
Nine days post-surgery I went out to a bar and had a glass of wine (it's a clear liquid, right??) I researched wine with the lowest caloric content and found that Chablis (very dry white wine) is the one. I was able to take tiny sips and enjoyed every single drop! I marvelled that it took me a whole hour to finish the glass... and there was still a few sips in the glass when I left. Is there any harm in a glass of wine so soon after surgery (great time to be asking this, after I've already done it!) Tomorrow night is my company Christmas party. I plan to have another glass then... sipping very slowly. I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there in obesity land who would admit to sneaking in an occasional "no-no" post surgery. I'd love to know that I'm not the only rebel out here.
Richard
on 12/1/06 12:15 pm - MA
Revision on 01/06/14
As I write this I am enjoying a glass of Dao, a Portuguese red wine. Some people say no alcohol because it is "empty calories". However red wine has many health benefits. Plus I think it helps me lose weight. Slowly sipping wine in the evening keeps me away from the refrigerator. But truthfully, I would not have done it at 9 days post-op.
Kriola
on 12/7/06 10:06 am - On the water, MA
Richard, I just had to jump in here. That one glass of wine from the DAO region surley won't hurt. Enjoy it, I love the wines from that region. MaryLyn
bradylover
on 12/1/06 11:13 pm - Millville, MA
Yes, I drank a margarita 2 wks after surgery...it was sooo good. I t took me an hour to drink it too! Laura
DDBEAR458
on 12/2/06 8:34 pm - WORCESTER, MA
YOU ARE A REBEL!!! lol, and I love it. you should read my posts about smoking! i havent had surgery yet and i dont drink but im a smoker. a couple of my friends LIED to their doc about it and they are FINE!!!! i basically asked a question about smoking and if anyone lied or cheated. wow. you should have heard the responses. people were PISSED. it was kinda funny though. some and most just cannot be honest. thats what i believe anyway. being the way most of us are.....fat, non athletic, sedentary.......overeaters.. you name it, weve got it. its extremely HARD for any of us to really change, right? especially 100%. a small percentage of us may turn the other way and be in marathons, but only a small few. are you getting my drift? enjoy the wine, but go slow and be real careful. have a blast getting THIN!!! and thanks for your honesty.
(deactivated member)
on 12/4/06 9:11 am - TBD, Guam
here is a little bit of honesty.... the reason they dont want you to smoke is because if you have surgery that requires anesthesia and you are under.... your lungs are severly compromised if you are a smoker... and its dangerous to your life if you are a smoker. so they ask you to try and quit prior. i know that my dr. would not perform the surgery and did a nicotine test... (i was a smoker). also they are hoping that this surgery will be the beginning of a new and healthy lifestyle. and as far as the drinking.... they want you to wait, because your liver is severly taxed in the beginning processing all the fat that you are losing as such a fast rate. when you drink, it is absorbed fast into your liver. it is dangerous to drink too fast before you are healed. 9 days could be dangerous and i believe you could get an ulcer? not sure. i wouldnt mess with it. that being said.... i have white wine and red wine weekly now. i thank the lord i gave up the ciggs... i used to smoke heavily. being from ma, i am glad i dont spend that money now. and i'm glad that i gave it up. Jess
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views