My date is January 8 - What do I do now?

cshapleigh
on 11/30/06 8:28 am
I have to admit, I thought this day would never come. I've been in the UMass program for a year and a half. Now the day of reckoning is upon me and I'm scared! Excited too but wondering how I'm going to cope. I'm having Roux n Y. I'm having trouble kicking sugar. Any suggestions? Will I be hungry after the surgery? I hope not. How do you feel? Nauseaus? Tired? What can I expect? Words of wisdom are appreciated! I
DDBEAR458
on 11/30/06 9:08 am - WORCESTER, MA
i have no advice for you but i just wanted to wish you luck. you will be fine. i havent had my surgery yet but im having the same one as you. my date is January 16th. are you from worcester? i am. my name is Deirdre. im going thru Newton Well. I didnt want to go to UMASS. TOO LONG. plus i work there. As far as suger, i wouldnt worry about it because your body will tell you if it doesnt agree with it. please keep us posted on your journey. I love reading people's journeys!!! God Bless and good luck on you NEW LIFE!!!
cshapleigh
on 11/30/06 11:45 pm
Deirdre, that's my birthday! Good luck and I'll say a special prayer for you. I don't live in Worcester, but I'm in the area. It makes me feel good knowing others are going through this too. I haven't told some of my family because of judgement. I will be cheering you on too! Keep writing everybody!
~ Stylz ~
on 11/30/06 11:21 am - North of Boston, MA
hi Carol, first let me say congrats on your date, I'll save a seat on the losers bench for ya! as far as your questions go... the one thing we are told at our support group meetings over and over again is..... they do surgery on your stomach, not your head! Will you be hungry after surgery, no. Will you think about food and want to eat it because you're having a craving for it, yes! head hunger is something that doesn't go away. Some people suggest having something to drink when it happens to see if the craving goes away. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Either way, if you do eat something, it will be a while before you can eat a lot of it! kicking sugar isn't fun at all! i think because i did low carb diets so many times it wasn't as hard for me, but in the beginning getting rid of sugar is hard, most people get headaches, feel weak and are miserable, but if you can get through the first couple days then you're golden! try doing phase 1 of the south beach diet to help get rid of carb and sugar cravings! As for my experience, I had surgery March 13 of this year (on a monday) came home wednesday, had gas pains thursday into friday, woke up saturday like i hadn't had surgery! ofcourse you'll have little pains here and there (afterall you just went through surgery where they re-routed your intestines and stomach), but thats why they perscribe a morphine drip in the hospital and send you home with liquid percocet. best advice... walk! they're not kidding when they tell you to start walking right away. not only does it help so you don't get a blood clot, but it helps you feel better. Even if its a walk to the mail box at the end of the drive way. it doesnt have to be a mile! just walk!! I was never nauseaus other than when I tried to drink the percocet straight. if you sip some percocet and sip some water in between theres less chance of getting sick on it (the nurse told me that at the hospital and she was right). Energy will come back eventually, just get your rest. Before surgery people would tell me a month later they've got this new found energy, 4 months after my surgery I was still waiting! Even at 8 months out there are days I'm tired. the more you lose the better you'll feel, the more active you'll be good luck with everything, you'll do great
amykic
on 11/30/06 12:17 pm - spencer, MA
Congratulations...........my cousin has the same date and same program. Not Dr. Kelly though. I am also going through the same program and I am just about at the end, I just need to loose a few more pounds to get under my starting weight. New life is starting. Amy
jereyes
on 12/1/06 5:09 am - Tyngsboro, MA
Hi I had open RNY on 11/21/05. I was in the hopital for three nights. I was never hungry in the hospital. I had a hard time wanting to drink or anything else. After a week I was allowed to eat regular food. I was so thrilled since I could not stand any of the protein shakes. Once I started to eat regular food I would accasionally feel hungry. At just a year out I do get hunger pains. i will try to drink some water if it is not time to eat or if that does not work I will pick a healthy snack such as a small peice of fruit or something to hold me over to my next meal. About three weeks after surgery I would feel sick frequently just from the smell of food. I would also vomit if I ate too fast or didn't chew my food well enough. For some reason chicken made me sick for about two months. I used to live off of chicken before surgery. This all passes within a couple of months. You will be tired after surgery but the best thing you can do is walk. I used to walk around the hospital 3-4 times each day. At home I would walk for a few minutes and build up the time each day. You will become tired fairly easily. When you feel tired take a nap then get moving again. I was required to take 6 weeks off from work. Even when I went back to work I would come home feeling very tired for the first few weeks. As for the surgar I did not try to kick it before sugery. I drank soda up til the day before surgery. After sugery I had a small craving of soda and I tried a sip and it tasted awful. I could not believe I used to like it. After awhile you get used to not eating sugar. I also do dump if I eat a lot of sugar which helps me stay away from it. Remeber everyone heals and responds differntly to this surgery. It is the best thing I could have done for myself. Good luck on your upcoming surgery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views