Has or is anyone going through tufts?

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/06 10:04 am
I'm hoping to go through tufts just wondering if anyone had gone through them what there exp was
rockinred
on 11/24/06 1:00 am - Boston, MA
I just had RNY 3 weeks ago with Dr. Tarnoff at Tufts NEMC. The program is very comprehensive & you won't be rushed into anything (you have a lot of work to do as well - attend seminars, meet several times with a psychologist, an internist & an exercise physiologist, attend a 6-week behavior change class, etc.). Everyone is excellent at what they do and you are treated like a person...they will get to you & remember your name without even looking at your chart (many even said hello to me in the halls so I know they knew my name)! I also really liked that they work WITH you to overcome problems & issues so it isn't just them shoving a program down your throat & you have to figure it out. They really genuinely care about your progress and about your TOTAL health. All of the surgeons are fantastic. I only met Dr. Kim briefly (she was actually the first to stop by my room the morning after my RNY), but she is very sweet and I know others who've been operated on by her and I've heard nothing bad. Dr. Shikora is, well, an icon in bariatric surgery, but be forewarned that his schedule is very tight & he's a busy guy. I really liked Dr. Tarnoff - he made me feel immediately at ease and he's amazingly smart & talented while at the same time being direct & not 'mincing words' when it came to exactly what the surgery entailed. What really surprised me most of all was that while I was in the hospital after the procedure, it seemed like every OCC doctor (even the ones who weren't my "team") stopped by to check on me or even just to say hello. Before surgery, I had low expectations of the nurses on the floor after surgery, but surprised me and were fantastic. I even sent them a little gift after I was discharged b/c they were so sweet! Btw, I couldn't have been happier with Tufts-NEMC and I honestly would not have gone ANYWHERE else. The program is very thorough (pre AND post-op) & all the doctors are fantastic! Good luck!
Richard
on 11/24/06 5:11 am - MA
Revision on 01/06/14
I had LapBand surgery with Dr. Shikora three years ago. It was a very positive experience and I liked the people. The dietitians told me a lot of things that were not true and seemed to have their own agenda. But I think thats true of most dietitians, they all have an axe to grind. They had a long list of things I would never eat again. Sorry, I eat them all the time and I am below my goal weight.
shadylady896
on 11/24/06 9:49 am - brewster, MA
Hi, I had Lap RNY at Tufts on 11/14. Dr Shikora was my surgeon. I have to agree with everything that Rockin' told you in her post. It is a comprehensive program and they cover all aspects of pre-op and post-op life. I think the most impressive thing I was told was "that once you become an OCC patient, you're an OCC patient for life" I feel extremely fortunate to have had Dr Shikora as my surgeon but I know people who have had Dr Kim and Tarnoff and are happy and doing very well as well. I have had no problems with my surgery.....in fact I even entertained the thought that maybe they didn't do the right surgery as I have felt so good since my surgery....he he he! And the best part so far.....I have lost 20 pounds in 10 days!! It's an amazing surgery and I wish you luck with your choices. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have. Melinda
Lesliee59
on 11/25/06 12:05 am - Needham, MA
I had Lapband surgery with Dr Kim at NEMC. She is a wonderful! I think their program is great! I have never had a problem with them and they are very accomodating. They put you through a series of meetings, appointments, groups, etc. They are very thorough. They also have very good statistics. NEM**** is world reknowned. Dr. Shikora has trained many bariatric surgeons from the US, as well as, from all over the world. Leslie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views