not losing after surgery

lynnmolly
on 11/17/06 12:45 am - quincy, MA
Hi I was wondering I have a bmi of over 70 and not losing much after surgery I am two months out and have lost 43 pounds I here that I should be losing that per month any advise, I am desperate to find out why. Thank you
rockinred
on 11/17/06 1:34 pm - Boston, MA
First, 43 lbs. is fantastic!!! On what other plan have you ever lost 43 lbs. in 2 months!! Be proud of what you've accomplished!!! Second, remember that the guideline is to expect to lose about 20% of your EXCESS WEIGHT per month. For example, if you had 100 lbs. to lose, you could expect to lose 20 in the first month. Month 2, you could expect to lose 16 lbs. (20% of the remaining 80 lbs. which is your new excess weight)... Finally, remember that everyone is different and you shouldn't compare yourself to others. If you're concerned, call your doctor and give yourself an honest evaluation of how well you're following your doctors plan. It will come off in time!!
route66hello
on 11/20/06 2:24 am - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
Hi Cheryl, My surgeon was Dr. Hess as well. I am almost exactly 3 months out from surgery (mine was 8/9/06). At my 3 month appts I had only lost only 9 lbs in the last month and something like 52 lbs since surgery. I was disappointed as well as expected given how large I was I would be losing more. Obviously before surgery for me losing 9 lbs would have been a miracle! Everyone at Dr. Hess's office was very supportive and reminded me how great it was that I have lost over 50 lbs... but still I could not help being disappointed. In my case I am hungry a lot and I admit that I do not stick to the recommended diet. I spent a long time with Wendy (nutritionist) discussing and I am going to really try and stick to high protein foods and stop eating junk. Again in my case I do not have dumping and appear to be able to eat almost anything though not as much. It is hard. If I could have dieted in the first place I would not have ended up weighing 450 lbs and needed surgery.... but I am really trying this month and I am going back in a month to get weighed and hopefully for me it will have made a difference. Best of luck! Terri
Boutin1986
on 11/29/06 3:10 am
Hello Terri, I am schedule dto meet w/Dr. Hess 12/04/06 for an initial consult. I have read many good things about him and his staff. I am interested in LapBand. I am wondering how long the process is! Diane
route66hello
on 11/29/06 4:22 am - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
Hi, I had my first appt with Dr. Hess just about a year ago and I had my surgery in August 2006. My process was longer then most I believe for two reasons. I weighed I am sure much more then you - 450 lbs - when I got on the scale and he wanted me to lose 50 lbs. I am sure you can appreciate for someone with years and years of failed diets that is very hard. In the end I lost 30 lbs and I think around April/May they approved me. My first sugery date was June 2006 but that surgery was canceled at the last minute because I needed further cardiac testing and then I had the gastric bypass in August. So for me about 8 months and that was with lots of exceptions. I think Dr. Hess is just one of the most genuinely nice people I have ever meant. On top of that he is an excellent surgeon who specialized in WLS. I think you have made an excellent choice and best of luck with your first appointment. Please let us know how it goes. Bye for now, Terri
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views