Do I have to lose wt. b4 surgery?

shelleyfitz
on 11/13/06 7:42 am - Hubbardston, MA
Hi Everyone, I have my first appt. this Wed. at NWH, w/ the nutritionist, psych, and surgeon (Dr. Gazmuri). I was just wondering if any of ya'll's surgeons had you lose weight before that would do surgery?
~ Stylz ~
on 11/13/06 9:01 am - North of Boston, MA
I had to lose 13 lbs before surgery. Reason for them having you lose weight before is because its easier for them to move your liver during the procedure. The weight loss helps reduce the fat in your liver making it easier to move.
DDBEAR458
on 11/13/06 12:23 pm - WORCESTER, MA
hey shelley. my name is Deirdre and i've been with NWH too! i've had my first consult with all and i'm too going on wednesday for my weigh in. they want to see if i've lost weight too. i think i've lost a total of 3 to 5 pounds. big whoop. what time is your appt. i'm going in for 12:30. keep me posted.
Kate S.
on 11/13/06 8:21 pm
Some programs require a weight loss, some don't. Mine requires that you lose 5% of your weight before scheduling a surgical interview. Donna B.
honeymoo
on 11/13/06 11:34 pm - on The Rock 30 miles out to Sea, MA
Hi there I had surgery w/ Dr. Thayer(he retired) but am following up w/ Dr. Gazmuri and they told me I could not gain any weight before surgery and suggested I try and lose some. I ended up losing 8pds in the month and 1/2 before surgery. But they did not give me an amount to lose. I go next Wed for my 3 month follow up. Congrats and good luck Gwen
Carolyn L.
on 11/15/06 8:05 pm - Northborough, MA
Shelley, Dr Gaz is my surgeon too (isn't he sweet!) He is SERIOUS about the not gaining before surgery and going to the meetings. A woman who started the process at the same time as me had her surgery delayed (but not canceled) due to not following the rules. Many surgeons require particular diets (ie 2 weeks of liquid diet), bowel cleansing etc, so being asked to lose SOMETHING (I lost 10 lbs) is really on the low end of requirements. They just want to make sure you don't binge from now until the surgery. Good Luck, it's a great program and I'm sure you're going to do wonderfully! Carolyn
rockinred
on 11/18/06 6:15 am - Boston, MA
I went through Tufts-New England Medical Ctr. Their program wants you to lose 10% of your body weight prior to surgery. They have several surgeons...I know 1 is very strict about it (the surgical director) and my surgeon is more relaxed, but wants you to do your best & you need to at least be in the neighborhood of a 10% loss. It's really hard, but just keep reminding yourself that it's all for a safer surgery!!
route66hello
on 11/20/06 2:29 am - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
Hi, I was told I needed to lose 50 lbs before surgery. I lost 30 lbs and was not gaining or losing more after that and they did go ahead. It is suppose to be much safer for the surgery itself. I have friends who had a consult at Lahey Clinic and were told they needed to lost 100 lbs.... Yikes! Best of luck. Terri
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views