UGH!

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/06 9:58 am - Zimbabwe
Repost from Lap Band message board: A few weeks ago I posted that I'd finished all of the required classes & appointments, which allowed me to finally get in line to get a surgeon's consult. (I started the process in May.) Mind you, I didn't just assume that I'd finished all of my requirements, I was told by the psych that took my behavioral intake that is required after the month of weekly 2.5 hour classes. Each week the person running the course told the group the same thing! We would be told that we had to keep losing weight for the appointment with the behaviorist so she would agree to write the letter of recommendation to the surgeon. We were warned at every session that if we had gained weight when we stepped on the scale at our long awaited surgeon appointment, we'd be sent back to the nutritionist. At my appointment the behaviorist TOLD me that she was writing the letter and I would hear from the surgeon's office to set up an appointment in 3 weeks. I was so relieved and excited. I've waited patiently for the surgeon's office to call with my appointment time. Well, I got a call from the weight loss surgery center last week saying that the nut wanted to see me. I asked why??? She said, "that it had been a while." I asked, "for what?" She said that the medical physician had approved me. I told her so did the nut and psych. She said yes, but the nut hasn't seen you since your last appointment and that was a while ago and she wants to make sure you are losing! I didn't want to take out my frustration on the secretary, but WTF? Can't she read the medical record? If not, I'd be happy run down and give her a refresher course on accessing the MR in meditech! So, she gives me an appointment for DECEMBER! Now if this had been part of the plan, I could have made that appointment and met with her in October like I did with the psych. I'm gonna go to hell for this, but the freaking nutritionist should get a lap band! She's my size! If she wants to weigh me, the WLS center is on the same floor of the building as my office! I could be there in less than 1 minute, at her convenience. OK, so I've calmed down to a degree. I have to jump through the hoops and maybe this timeline is all in God's plan for me. I do believe God has a plan for me, so although I'm disappointed, I'll accept this. So what am I still so steamed about? The fact that they lied, not only to me but to a group of people with self-esteem problems, medical problems, and financial problems. The some in the group that I went through my courses with had some of these problems, and my heart broke for them. There were folks with serious medical problems, and some who were hoping to lose weight to get off of disability to support themselves. (I was the only one there for the lap band. The others had either decided or were convinced to have bypass.) We paid for the set appointments and courses, above and beyond the surgery. It was a set fee. When I had to go to my 2nd appointment with the behaviorist, I got a whopping bill for it. This nut appointment will be the same. I feel bad for the folks in my group who can't and I feel that I should be advocating for them..........but, I'm not going to until I get my fat butt through their unethical hoops and get what I want. I'll tell you, once I'm banded, I'll take them on professionally. Hmmmm...maybe that's part of God's plan. Sorry for the rant.
DDBEAR458
on 11/10/06 10:25 pm - WORCESTER, MA
OMG. I feel for you, truly. Let me guess where you went...UMASS in Worcester? If that's the truth, then i decided against going there myself. Just for the reason that it takes so damn long. Plus I work at UMASS and it's none of anyone's business! I decided to go to Newton Wellesley. I went to their first seminar at the end of September. I had my Dr., phyc and nut. appt ALL IN ONE DAY which was November 24th. They made another appt for three weeks after that to see if I've lost weight. They wanted me to lose at least 5 pounds. My weigh in appt is this Wednesday. My insurance company approved me (already) and she said I should have a date set for surgery in JANUARY! It's like all of us had done research on this for a while (for me at least a year) and by the time WE decided that we want the surgery, I feel as if we shouldn't have to wait ANOTHER year OR MORE for the Doctor to decide! That's just me. anyway. Good luck to you and please keep me or us posted on this board. my name is Deirdre and I'm from Worcester. God Bless (((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))). I know how frustrating it can be!
(deactivated member)
on 11/10/06 10:37 pm - Zimbabwe
Hi Deirdre. Yes, it's the UMASS program. LOL! I actually called NW, but they don't do lapbands. I work at UMASS, too!
jereyes
on 11/11/06 3:58 am - Tyngsboro, MA
Sorry to hear that you are having such difficulty with your program. Lawrence Memorial Hospital in Medford does the lap band. I went to Dr. Sheldon Randall but I chose to have the RNY. He does do the lap band as well. He is a great doctor and runs a great program. Best of Luck! Janet
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views