Protein question

tmtrkm
on 11/7/06 2:31 am - MA
I was told I need to have 3 Carnation Instant Breakfasts or Kashi drinks each day with Simply Smart milk. Pre-op I had no problem with the CIB but the Kashi was gross. Post-op I can't even stand the look or smell of the CIB. I was reviewing the protein in the SSM and it has 10gs the CIB has about 4 or 5 depending on flavor. Since I can't get either of these down I've been just drinking the SSM 4 - 8oz glasses a day instead of 3 with the CIB. Then I have 4 oz of SSM with tomatoe soup... which is also allowed. I'm assuming that because I need to get at least 40g of protein in right now (6 days post-op) this is okay. Do you think it's okay to get my protein in just with the milk right now? I'm tolerating everything well.... chewable vitamins, water, juice and tomatoe soup.... I don't want to push the CIB and make myself sick.
debjean
on 11/7/06 2:53 am
HI.....I am also 6 days post-op. we were told that you needed 60-80 grams of protein per day. i bought the isopure powder from gnc which has 50 grams of protein in 2 scoops and no sugar . i choose this becaus of the high protein content,and if you are unable to tolerate a large amout you can get the 50 gms in one 8 oz serving of milk. it comes in strawberry,vanilla and chcolate. i tried the vaniila and strawberry . i like it it isnt over powering . i mix it in the blender with 8oz milk 1-2 scoops and 2 ice cubes . you really need the protein which is essential for healing and also so you lose fat and not have muscle loss. i also know that people that didnt have enough protein in there diet had hair loss. i am on the stage 3 diet which is all full modified liqiuds so in addition to the protein drink we are allowed whipped cottage cheese and lofat no sugar smooth yogurt// dannon light and fit .
tmtrkm
on 11/7/06 6:48 am - MA
Thanks for your reply. Is the isopure thick??
debjean
on 11/7/06 10:06 am
hi... I mix it with 8 oz of low fat milk and one scoop of isopure and it isnt thick. They even say on the box to mix with water but i havent tried it that way. when i make it in the blender i throw in a couple of ice cubes it makes it more frothy . if you have 3 times a day you will meet your protein 75 grams. good luck
pmorin
on 11/7/06 9:28 pm
Hi there. My surg. was Nov. 1. I am not a doctor and don't know the answer to your question but I can share what I have learned so far. I'm not crazy about any of the drinks. I've decided to go with the one I like the best and has the most amount of protein so I don't have to drink as much. I have purchased Unjury products for my protein suppliment. The shake powder alone has 20 grams of protein. by the time I add the SS milk it really adds up quickly. That's an 8 oz glass. The other compnay I use is Smart Forme. I don't like their premixed drinks at all but the hot choc. mixed with SS milk is very good and has 20 grms of protein. Their fruit drinks mixed with water have 15gms. as well. I've attached both company info for you. I bet they would be willing to overnight some samples to you. My nutirionist held a pre op class where we were given samples and encouraged to try products before surg. I don't think we are ever supposed to push ourselves when we are feeling sick. I hope this info helps you. Unjury Medical Quality Protein www.UNJURY.com 1 800 517 5111 Smart Forme www.SmartForme.com 1 877-895-3511 By the way... Sugar free popsicles have been a real treat! Take care, Patti
April R.
on 11/8/06 7:59 am - plymouth, MA
Smartforme products are the best.. they saved me after the surery.. the hot chocolate, fruit drinks, and chicken boulion are the good ones.. I agree with the other posterabout the pre-made shtuff.. yukcies good luck
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views