Dumb Stress Test

Joanne N.
on 11/6/06 8:52 am
Hi there, First I should start by saying that I am pre op, working on getting all my "stuff" done. I have already met with Dr. Sheldon Randall and the psych. I see the nutritionist and Dr. Randall again next week. Then Thursday we have our support group meeting. I went to my PCP today because I was having pain on the underside of my upper arms. The "ached" I guess is a good way to put it. I have a family history of heart attacks so my Mom suggested I get an EKG right away. Did that today. The Dr. seems to think it's something viral or muscular however, my EkG showed that I had a slight, change from my last baseline EKG in 2003. She told me that I definately was not having a heart attack (good thing) but want me to have a stress test considering that I also want to have this surgery. I tried to tell her that I'm spending lots of time on this web site doing research and maybe I was sitting a certain way (good try huh?) So, now I have to get a stress test scheduled for sometime this week. I'm told I have to walk on a treadmill or about 16 minutes (yeah right). Hopefully all that will turn out fine. If it does turn out fine, does anyone see me having a problem with Dr. Randall or BCBS? Oh, also, I am not having the stress test out of LMH, I'm having it at Salem Hospital where all of my other Dr's are. (I did not want to use Salem for the RNY...long story) Will having the dumb stress test at Salem have any impact on anything with Dr. Randall? Thanks as always for any thoughts! Joanne
RosieO
on 11/8/06 9:16 am - Winthrop, MA
I am also a Pre-op patient of Dr Randall and don't worry about getting a stress test since he would probably have asked your PCP to schedule one anyway so at least you are getting it out of the way. Dr Randall did have my PCP order one, I had it done at Melrose Wakefield hospital ...not a problem at all. Make sure you have your PCP send the results to Dr Randall though. It is usually on your second appt with Dr Randall that you will discuss additional testing that will be needed ...for me it was the Stress test and "muffin" test (UGI- Barium swallow) ...now I am just waiting to complete the requirement of Aetna which is 6 months with Nutritionist and Dr...just a couple of months left to go! Good Luck! Rosie
Joanne N.
on 11/8/06 10:19 am
HI Rosie, Thanks for the response. All of my bloodwork that the Dr. took on Monday came back ok but my arms still hurt so now I'm actually looking forward to my stress test. I have to go 2 days..Monday and Tuesday. At least I'll be one step closer to getting my surgery. I see Dr. Randall next week too. Thanks again! Joanne
route66hello
on 11/13/06 5:46 am - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
Hi, I am not a patient of Dr. Randall's but I wanted to say that I can understand the frustration of feeling like there is yet another test that is blocking your path to WLS. I had my WLS at Boston Medical Center and I was about 1/2 hour from surgery - I had the IVs, the heprin, time off from work, weeks of child care arranged, etc... - and I was canceled due to a concern over my EKG. It had been read as normal but for a 400+ person having elective surgery there was no way the anesthesiologist was going to to put me under. In those last minutes the anesthesiologist and not the surgeon had the final decision. I was SO fustrated at the time and felt like I would never have the surgery. But I too had a stress test, but one where they gave me medicine to raise my heart rate, and all turned out fine and about 2 months later I got the surgery. A stress test, done anywhere, will just be more assurance that everything during your sugery will come out fine. Best of Luck, Terri
Joanne N.
on 11/13/06 6:09 am
Hi Terri, Thanks for all of the information you provided me. I went this afternoon to do the first half of the stress test done. It took them 45 mins. to find a vein to use. Tomorrow I go for the treadmill part. I also see Dr. Randall tomorrow. Wow, he'll be surprised that I've had this done. Are you looking forward to the surgery? Nervous? I have all these mixed feelings every day. Have a great night. Thanks again, Joanne
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views