United Health Care question!!

lillydawg
on 10/19/06 12:28 pm - Mendon, MA
hi all! Well, I got switched over to United Healthcare this past year and was told they NEVER approve surgery...I kinda gave up and got a bit depressed - still trying to lose weight on my own, but it's an up-hill battle (as we all know). I was just wondering if UHC has changed their policies at all? Anyone know? Wishful thinking...
txbunny930
on 10/20/06 12:43 am - MA
Each insurance policy is different per company. You will need to contact UHC directly and ask them specifically if there is coverage for bariatric surgery and to fax you a copy of their guidelines. You can also contact HR for benefits and they should know. Hope there is no exclusion but I have seen others having this insurance and not have a problem getting approval.
DDBEAR458
on 10/20/06 1:52 am - WORCESTER, MA
all's you have to do is call United Health Care. They would be the people who would know.
route66hello
on 10/20/06 2:04 am - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
I have United Health Care PPO. My surgery was approved in one phone call. The nurse coordinator from my doctor's office had originally told me he had never gotten anyone approved by United Health Care and then was very pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. So at the end of the day you need to do what the other's suggest. Call UHC on the phone at their (800) and ask them if WLS is covered and if so what the requirements are... for example do you need to be in an organized weight loss program for 6 months first. I think these days it is actually getting more unlikely that a health plan like UHC would never approve it. I also know that at my Drs office they talked about other "ways" to get the surgery covered - secondary insurance, etc... So I would definitely suggest you pick a surgeon and get an appointment and get in the pipeline so you have people who know the system to help you. Best of luck!! Terri
Cindy M.
on 10/20/06 4:41 am - Sterling, MA
I have United Health Care PPO as well. I was approved in 7 days. They didn't bat an eyelash. The experience was great and I am glad that I did it. My company was 100% supportive. Give them a call and good luck
sbard
on 10/22/06 9:42 pm - west brookfield, MA
Hi- I have United Health Care- EPO and have now been denied twice. First they quoted a "plan exclusion" although they had given me a preliminary OK back in April and had been paying all my bills. The second exclusion was due to not sending in enough documentation of attempts to lose weight. My last appeal is to go through my employer directly. I am working on that letter now. Very frustrated. I am glad however, that they do approve some. I'm cautiously optimistic! Keep the good thoughts- It will work out for all! Sue
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views