6 weeks post surgery and not really losing.

Angie3915
on 10/17/06 8:22 pm - MA
It has been 6 weeks post lap band placement. I initially lost 14 lbs. within days of returning home from the hospital. I was so excited at first than as I began healing from my incisions and becomming more comfortable eating, I progessively gained my large appetite again and I have gained 4lbs. For the last two weeks or so I have been battle with diet and excerise to maintain so I won't gain any more weight. I have been fluctuating between these four pounds and my appetite and now I feel almost discouraged and dissapointed. No I have not yet had my first fill which is scheudule in a couple of weeks, but in the back of my head I'm truly wondering if I chose the right surgery for me, my biggest challenges were and still are that I ate too much, not so much what I ate. I even eat too much of the rights foods. I have always felt the need to eat until I'm full and controlling that habit is very difficult even after band placement. Can anyone out there relate to these early stages of lap band surgery?
Dev *.
on 10/19/06 3:19 am - Austin, TX
I lost about 17 lbs right after surgery and then nothing else until I got my first fill. The fill will help if you aren't having much restriction.
Bette B.
on 10/19/06 3:38 am
Angela: Try not to be so hard on yourself - we've all (well, most of us, anyway) wonder whether we did the right thing. I know that I did. Relax and be kind to yourself until you have your first fill. Bette
Caeli B.
on 10/19/06 3:46 am - Boston, MA
Sweetie, it is normal to be able to eat more once the swelling goes down. Frustrating but normal. The time between surgery and restriction (which can take a couple of fills) is one for patience and learning (aka how to eat like a bandster, etc.) but not one to focus on weight loss. ANY loss during this time is a bonus. Please join us over on the lap band board anytime. http://obesityhelp.com/forums/LapBand/a,messageboard/board_id,5359/ Hang in there, Caeli
aimeeoutdoors
on 10/19/06 4:03 am - Cohasset, MN
Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I gained and lost the same 5 lbs for 3 months before getting good restriction from fills. I was very frustrated, but once you finally achieve restriction, you will begin to lose weight much faster. I didn't believe it would ever work, but it did, and 8 months out, I have lost 60 lbs. Some of us aren't as quick at losing, and I for example had more behavior issues to work on than some other people... Good luck, you will get there! aimee
Melanie R.
on 10/19/06 5:28 am - Tacoma, WA
Lap Band on 07/31/06 with
Angela, I didn't lose anything before my first fill. I kept thinking, what tha? Here I am, eating like 800 calories per day and nothing is coming off? Personally, I thought it was the initial shock. I'm so jealous to hear about people who lost so much early on. I'm averaging about 2.5 pounds per week now, after four fills. I'm 11 weeks post op and the fun is just beginning! Just wait til' you get your fill! That's when the party begins!
Nancy Degenmeister
on 10/19/06 10:34 am - Bergen County, NJ
These early stages take a lot of patience. Banding is not a rapid loss procedure or a fast-out-of-the-gates procedure. It typically takes 3-5 fills to get properly adjusted and it's 100% normal to not have much (if any) weight loss prior to getting the band in full working order. What you CAN work on right now are the behaviors that will help you down the line: chewing, not drinking with meals, putting proper bandster portions on your plate (3-4 oz solid protein, 1 serving (1/2 cup) nonstarchy veggies, and 1 serving of starch (1/4-1/2 cup, emphasis on complex carbs). Eat them in that order. It will never be the band's job to force you to stop eating midway through a too-large meal, so practice putting proper portions in front of you...when this becomes a habit, you can be less strict about things, and trust your ability to notice your "soft stop" (which is your actual full (not physically hungry anymore) signal and will be something like a runny nose, sneeze, hiccup, burp, a little sigh...NOT overt discomfort/stuffed/golfball, etc). Really, it's best not to focus on the scale right now. You CAN lose during this time but it will be under your own steam. Nancy
ChristinaV
on 10/25/06 5:44 am - CT
RNY on 11/28/05 with
I don't know anything about banding but hang in there.... it will happen. Hugs, Chrissy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views