What is MGH like?

nwilbar
on 10/13/06 5:40 am - nr. Brockton, MA
I'd love to hear about peoples' experiences with the weight clinic over at MGH. I've heard it's a good and comprehensive program, but I would love to know more about them before my first consult in November.
chinamomma
on 10/13/06 8:48 am - Norton, MA
Hi- I can tell you a bit about MGH. I worked there for 11 years and had my surgery there this past January. The program is comprehensive. They provide counseling and nutrition support before and after the surgery. They follow you pretty closely. It takes a while to get all the pre-surgery visits finished, but they have a great success rate and they really are invested in the long term success (not just getting the bucks for the surgery). I had Janey Pratt for surgery. She is awesome. Very easy to talk to and VERY skilled. I had the inside scoop (knew many people who had the surgery with her and knew the social worker on the surgical floor the bariatric patients go to and they all said she was amazing and they were right!) I was amazed at how quickly I recovered - no complications, out of the hospital in two days total and off all pain killers a couple of days later. So far the only issue I've had is vomitting if I ate too fast or something too dense early on after surgery (don't eat pork the first few months after surgery!! YUCK!) Other than that, I have sailed through everything. I'm still losing but fairly slowly now. I've lost 100 pounds (down from 266 to 165) since January. I still hope to get a little bit lower, but I am thrilled with how I look and feel now and would be fine if things stopped right here. The group are also very clear that while some weight gain is expected a few years out of surgery, they remain available to you and want you to come back in and work with them if you find yourself regaining a few pounds before it gets out of control. I highly recommend the group and their program!! Good luck with your consult. If you have specific questions please email me. My life has changed in amazing ways since surgery - you are embarking on an amazing journey! Congrats! Eileen
nwilbar
on 10/13/06 11:19 am - nr. Brockton, MA
Hey there neighbor. Thanks for your response. Do they help you prepare for surgery no matter what kind of boat you are in? I"m so worried that they'll turn me away for whatever reason, like I'm an emotional eater or whathaveyou.
Jeana W.
on 10/23/06 3:33 am - Cambridge, MA
Hi, I'm going throught the MGH Weight Center too. I met with Dr. Sogg, the phsycologist there and she was wonderful! I believe she heads some group meetings at targeting emotional eating. Trust me, I doubt that they would turn you away for any reason! They are there to help you get healthy, no matter what procedure you and them decide is right for you. I met with Dr. Rosenblum for my second appt. and she was very thorough. My only problem so far is with the surgical coordinators. I've been waiting since October 4th for them to call me and set up all the pre-op tests and start the insurance approval process. I've called them and the woman I spoke to said she had to find my paperwork and get back to me. This was the 16th! I chose Dr. Hutter for my surgery, but I'm seriously thinking about switching to another surgeon. Maybe their coordinators will be more competent. Not sure, maybe I'll give her a call today. It's been a week. Ok, I better stop my babbling. Good luck on your first appointment. They're all very nice there. Keep us posted! Jeana
julie2006
on 12/8/06 7:55 pm - georgetown, MA
Ok, so I read this post almost two months down the road! Sorry MGH is awesom, both my husband and I had our surgeries there. We also started an online support group for patients of MGH Weight Center. The staff has been wonderful and from time to time they hire new employees in the appointment office. I am sure they are swamped with paperwork in the office. But rest assured they will get back to you. I know how frustrating it is to wait for your dates, and appointments. The worst part for me was I didn't get the approval from my inusrance till two weeks before my surgery date. The waiting can seem endless at times, but all worth it in the end. Good luck and let me know if you want the link to our web group so you can talk with other pre and post of patients. Julie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views