Out-of-Pocket Fee?

Jeana W.
on 10/7/06 8:00 am - Cambridge, MA
Hi, I'm going through the Mass General Hospital Weight Center for WLS and I'm being charged a $925 to cover Surgical Program fees. I'm just wondering if other hospitals charge a fee and if so, how much? My mom is looking to have this surgery too but can't afford this fee. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jeana
Hick
on 10/7/06 10:06 am - Waltham, MA
Newto-Wellesley the charge is $500
motherof3
on 10/7/06 9:25 pm - New Bedford, MA
Hi Jeana, I think that is the norm. Tobey Hospital in Wareham charges the following: $100.00 for psych consult (must have two sessions) $50.00 for each pre-op support group (If memory serves me right, I was required to attend once per week for four weeks) This brought the total out of pocket expense for this program to $300.00. Other than my co-pays for the office visits, that was all I had to pay.
jereyes
on 10/8/06 12:06 am - Tyngsboro, MA
I went to Lawrence Memorial Hospital in Medford, Ma and there were no additional hopital or sevice fees, everything was covered by insurance. Support groups before and after sugery are free. My psych. evaluations and nutrition appointments were also covered by insurance. I just needed to pay my co-payments when I went to see the surgeon.I had Dr. Randall who also does surgery at Mass General. Good Luck!
rockinred
on 10/8/06 5:39 am - Boston, MA
NEMC charges $500 for a program fee. This includes the lecture program for the exercise physiologist and 1 free meeting with him (they're $50 thereafter, but optional after the 1st meeting). You're required to go through a 6 week behavior change class, which is $30/session OR just a co-pay if your insurance will cover it (it's considered a mental health expense). Other than that, you have to pay co-pays for 2 meetings each with the following: internist, nutritionist and psychologist. You have 1 meeting with surgeon (also a co-pay).
Jeana W.
on 10/8/06 10:00 am - Cambridge, MA
Hi! I just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to post your answers. They were very helpful. Good luck in your own journeys! Jeana
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views